How petty is this.

postie24 19:24 26 Jan 2007

On completion of my post round this morning,my manager asked if he could have a word with me.
He informed me that a customer had rung up to make a complaint about me.
Apparantly i had left the gate open on exiting their premises.
I was left speechless.who on earth would ring up to moan about a gate being left open.
How did they know it was me that left it open?
Did they see me out of the window?
If yes,all they had to do was knock on the window to point out about the gate,or have word the next day.
But to ring my manager up i think was out of order.
Anyone else got any stories as bizzare as this

Postie24

oresome 19:38 26 Jan 2007

I don't think it's bizzare at all.

Gates have a purpose. The householder may have a pet they let out into their garden and don't want it wandering off, or they may be trying to keep other peoples animals out.

I get a little irritated at all the elastic bands left on the drive by the postie.

But I'm a grumpy old git.

Stuartli 19:39 26 Jan 2007

Or even a young child or children.

postie24 19:43 26 Jan 2007

They have no pets or children,still no apparent reason to ring up without having a word with me 1st

Postie24

was it open when you entered?
i think they should have spoke to you first.

postie24 20:01 26 Jan 2007

I honestly cant remember,i deliver to 442 houses each day.Am opening and closing gates all morning,so cant remember about one peticular gate.
I just think to try and get someone in trouble over an open gate is rediculous

Postie24

some people's life must be so simple and trouble free! complaining about the posties satanic act of gate negligence, probably gave the day more meaning!

postie24 20:19 26 Jan 2007

The customer is always right,or so they say.
The way they went about this in this case they are wrong,well thats what i think,

Thanks for reply adman2,

Postie24

Kate B 22:42 26 Jan 2007

Well, I'd be annoyed if a postie left the gate open. It's thoughtless of you, I'm afraid, not to close it behind you. As oresome said, perhaps they've got a pet or a small child they don't want on the road. Is it really that much effort to shut it behind you? I wouldn't ring up if it were left open once but if it were regularly left open I certainly would.

Also, remember that however hard you work, the post office doesn't have a great image with householders. Don't take it personally but don't be surprised and perhaps just think about leaving gates the way you found them.

Watchful 22:57 26 Jan 2007

Gates should be kept closed if that's the way you find them but anyone can leave a gate open and it's hard to prove unless you witnessed it. In this particular case I think the householder should have had a word with you first.

Kate B 23:05 26 Jan 2007

I doubt they're maliciously trying to get you into trouble, postie - and perhaps they're not around when you're delivering your letters. Post arrives so late these days that it's long after I've gone to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?