How Often is Often

laurie53 10:47 15 Aug 2007

I recently read some instructions which said that something should be lubricated "regularly"

How regular is that then? Regular like Halley's Comet, once very 75 years, or regular like the buses past my house, every 15 minutes?

I was once told to patrol regularly. I said "Don't you mean irregularly, so that the enemy can't predict when I'm coming?"!

And my wife wonders why I spent 25 years at the same rank!

hereford456 10:57 15 Aug 2007

Depends on what it is!

45 Mart 11:07 15 Aug 2007

Well, as far as I am aware, this is a specific way of determining a length of time without actually using any measurements, sucjh as seconds, minutes, hours, etc.

You have to fit it into the list of other pre determined times to figure out the correct period.

Below is a list of these named time periods for you to be able to work out how long they all should be.

Never.

Occasionally.

Now and then.

Frequently.

Often.

Constantly.

Obsessively.

There you go laurie53, hope this helps.
;-)

Belatucadrus 11:28 15 Aug 2007

I take regularly to mean that you should be aware that it requires lubrication and a routine should be set up. I don't think the interval matters that much as long as the selected option isn't "Never". If it was that critical, I'd expect the instructions to be a bit more specific.

egapup 11:30 15 Aug 2007

Regular :- once a day, usually in the morning.

Bingalau 11:58 15 Aug 2007

How about "Every now and again"?

laurie53 12:04 15 Aug 2007

Thanks for sharing that, egapup, and for a bit of light relief!

The thread was getting a bit serious, the question was meant to be almost rhetorical!.

Stuartli 12:37 15 Aug 2007

This is a question that is often asked, but often brings up no definative answer...:-)

More than once might give a clue.

TopCat® 14:15 15 Aug 2007

It depends on what it is, how often used and whether hot or cold conditions will have an adverse effect on it. The latter also determines which type of lubricant is used - high melting point grease, say, obviously is best for hot running conditions. What the devil IS this 'something' then? :o) TC.

Forum Editor 19:36 15 Aug 2007

"I see the thread has taken a turn for the worse"

The posts that prompted your comment have been removed. I say that in order to prevent your post's first line looking a little lost.

Pine Man 19:42 15 Aug 2007

Originally for some speed limits to be lawful repeater signs had to be erected at 200 yard intervals, I think it was, and everyone was getting off on technicalities because the distances were a few inches out.

The regulations now state that repeaters should be erected at 'regular' intervals. Very difficult to base a defence on irregular intervals if there is no definition of regular!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone