How not to enjoy a drink

  carver 19:23 08 Oct 2012
Locked
Answered

I heard about this on the radio but didn't really hear it properly and thought that some one had pored the stuff into her drink out of spite.

Didn't realise that it's the Wine bar using it in their drinks Liquid nitrogen what sort of idiot puts some thing that is so lethal into a drink and doesn't expect a fatality to occur.

  morddwyd 20:40 08 Oct 2012

Many idiots.

It appears it has been going on for some time and is (was) quite widespread.

Up until now the stuff had always evaporated before being ingested.

This poor girl drank a bit too quickly.

  Flak999 21:06 08 Oct 2012

I'm glad I'm not the bar owners insurance company! I can see a massive claim on the horizon!

  finerty 21:46 08 Oct 2012

Next they be putting up notices to cover themselves, when they shouldn't use the stuff in the first place

  interzone55 21:54 08 Oct 2012

Not sure if the girl will have a right to claim, the bar wasn't doing anything wrong serving these drinks, well nothing illegal anyway.

  Flak999 22:02 08 Oct 2012

I'm sure they will have third party liability insurance, after all they served the drink to a customer and it almost killed her. Got to be a claim there somewhere I would have thought!

  Quickbeam 22:31 08 Oct 2012

It'll probably be the insurance companies that stop them being sold quite quickly by way of huge premium increases, a law change would take months even if it was done quickly.

  Devil Fish 00:35 09 Oct 2012

liquid nitrogen needs to be handled very carefully and to be put in the public domain like this is foolish a very slight error with it can cause what we have seen an 18 year old girl on a night out having here stomach removed liquid nitrogen heating up in stomach causing large gas bubble = very lucky to be alive and should be banned from food and drink before a life is lost by an error

  wiz-king 05:46 09 Oct 2012

My first thought was -stupid reporters, no-one in there right mind would drink liquid nitrogen - seems I have missed out on the latest trends in drinking. The nearest I have ever got to alcohol and nitrogen was a Guinness.

  Forum Editor 09:25 09 Oct 2012

This practice has been around for a while, and is generally harmless - the liquid nitrogen boils off before the drink is consumed. It's a gimmick, and is not illegal, but it obviously has a potential for causing harm. I imagine the fad will rapidly become history now.

  wiz-king 12:59 09 Oct 2012

Not your maths - your physics - a frozen stomach is a rigid structure and this would reduce its ability to expand.

Too many variables!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017