How much will you spend on your next compact camera?

PC Advisor 10:32 12 Oct 2010

How much do you think you'll spend on your next compact camera? Have your say in the poll in the lefthand column.

spuds 13:40 12 Oct 2010

Not very much, just bought a new compact Praktica DPix 5200 from eBay for £12.00, and a compact Vivitar 'underwater' camera for £5.85 from the same source. Both do their jobs fine, but the Praktica is a little heavy on batteries.

Quickbeam 13:59 12 Oct 2010

The poll options only go up to £300.

The first digital compact that I bought, an Olympus C2000, was nearly £600 in about 2001.

I then bought a Panasonic FX500 about 3 years ago somewhere at between £4/500.

And earlier this year an Olympus E-P2 with the kit lens and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 that cost over £1200.

Leicas are considered to be compacts also, and you won't get much change from £10,000 for one of them with a couple of lenses, so a top option of 300 squid ain't a very good top price range, is it?

Quickbeam 19:10 12 Oct 2010

Leica rangefinders have been classified as compacts for well over 30 years that I've been aware by all the published sources that I've read about them.

But the real point I make is that there are a lot of consumer products above the £300 plus mark. It isn't really going to give an accurate indication of that range compared to the recent polls on laptops and various other consumer products, that's all.

ronalddonald 20:26 12 Oct 2010

tup pence

peter99co 23:28 12 Oct 2010

Leica V-Lux 20 and wow what a camera.
Some say I should have got a Lumix instead because it is the same machine. I like the little red badge though!

wee eddie 23:46 12 Oct 2010

sub £100.00 range.

After, God only knows, how many GB's of trashy memories ~ I gave the last one to my Niece.

I shall get the cheapest Video/Still Camera I can find.

KremmenUK 07:28 13 Oct 2010

Since I got a phone with a decent camera built in I've never used my normal camera.

carver 09:05 13 Oct 2010

But if you go above the £300 ceiling then you are going into the DSLR range of camera which gives you a lot more options, and Leica "compact cameras" are far bigger cameras than the ones considered by your average snapper.

I don't think that this qualifies as a compact click here

Quickbeam 09:56 13 Oct 2010

If we're talking shirt pocket compacts then I would consider them to be a sub-class, a super compact.

The cameras mentioned that I consider to be compacts have bodies that are no bigger than the size of the old 35mm compacts.

So when did we officially consider a compact to have dimensions no bigger than a pack of Marlboro?

It's interesting to note that PCA, in their own review of Sony's NEX5 click here they use the description "bridges the gap between compact camera and digital SLR". Yet Sony themselves use the description 'ultra compact' on their NEX site click here

There is certainly some web-wide confusion over what exactly a compact camera is. I personally think the term 'ultra compact' best fits the shirt pocket compact...

jakimo 19:13 14 Oct 2010

I'm on my fourth and last 'Compact', the first was an Olympus @ £150 followed by Fuji Fine-pix 4800Zoom @ £489 (designed by Porsche). then a smaller Canon @ £250,and finally a £89 refurb. Canon that would at last fit in my shirt pocket.

But I still have my treasured Olympus OM1 SLR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?