How much money do you plough in to something

pj123 17:44 21 Nov 2007

before you realise it isn't working and then pull the plug?

oresome 18:28 21 Nov 2007

On Dragons Den the other week, a couple had invested £200k developing what was in effect a rubber sucker to hold a shower head on the wall.

It was hoped that travellers with bad experiences of dodgy hotels would buy one and carry it around with them to overcome the inconvenience of a missing wall bracket on the off chance that it should it occur.

They were met with incredulity and told to cut their losses and not give up the day job.

Hard to do when you're passionate about an idea, are well down the line with development and have invested your life savings.

Monoux 19:26 21 Nov 2007

Suckers :o)

laurie53 20:25 21 Nov 2007

Clive Sinclair might be able to help here!

jack 20:53 21 Nov 2007

Well one does wonder what 'inventors' have for brains or the buyer of their output sometimes, as a recent post on here was listing all the naff USB driven items one can buy in all sorts of outlets/WHSmith/Wilkinson plus the usual mailorder houses to name but a few.
Someone must have done enough research to warrant the production and distribution of the stuff- I am truly amazed that there must be a market for it.
But not from me!

Forum Editor 23:11 21 Nov 2007

who come up with an idea is that they become obsessed with it, to the extent that they seem unable to recognise it for what it really is - a complete waste of time.

We've all met or heard of someone who grinds endlessly on about some project that's going to make them a millionaire, when it takes us about five minutes to realise that it will be an abject failure. There must be something in the human psyche that so often makes us incapable of grasping reality when contemplating our brainchild.

Occasionally (but only occasionally) there's the classic case of someone doggedly pursuing an idea against all the odds, and finally being covered in glory. Barnes Wallis and the bouncing bomb springs to mind as being an example of that. Perhaps it's these rare instances that keep all the other people going.

Si_L 12:08 22 Nov 2007

"There must be something in the human psyche that so often makes us incapable of grasping reality when contemplating our brainchild."

There is, greed.

pj123 17:22 24 Nov 2007

fourm member, "Do you have something in mind?"

No, not me. I don’t have 2 ha’pennies to rub together.

I was talking to a football fanatic about a football club that isn’t doing very well at the moment.

He said it needs more money putting into it, but the major shareholders have already put more than their share of their own money in.

So “is it not time to walk away?”

talf 20:21 28 Nov 2007

The funniest one i have seen was for online takeaway food ordering! Just-Eat.co.uk has been around for a log time now and has loads of restaurants and they were presenting it like it was a new idea....i guess they know what they are doing though. lol

spuds 23:20 28 Nov 2007

Now who was it who thought of that crazy idea about jet engines or the wheel ;o)

€dstowe 07:14 29 Nov 2007

The daftest one I've seen (I don't watch it very often as I would die with embarrassment at some of the ideas) was someone wanting some astronomical sum to market a device to stop plastic jerry cans (you know the things: rectangular, handle on top, spout off centre) from gurgling when being poured. The hapless inventor demonstrated the gurgling at which point Peter Jones got up from his seat, turned the container through 90 degrees and poured - no trace of a gurgle.

The worst part of this was the "inventor" had taken out a patent application. I know it is not the responsibility of a patent attorney to judge whether an invention is viable or not but I would have expected some small adverse comment by him, or anyone else who had been shown it, out of a moral responsibility.

How anyone could be so obsessed with, and blinkered about, their invention is way past my understanding.

Perhaps the whole concept of the programme connected with modern ethos of "humiliation television" which seems to be increasingly common.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?