How Much Food Do You Throw Away?

oresome 17:07 21 Oct 2013

The news today from Tesco is that they throw an enormous amount away from their stores and distribution centres and a similar amount gets discarded by their customers.

I presume surveys must have been carried out to see what householders admit to discarding.

I'm not surprised with the bagged salad. It has a very short life once opened and some of the in-store bread can go stale very quickly although we do try to use this up with soup.

I don't think we throw away anything like claimed, but inevitably some gets discarded and more so since we lost the dog (although she wouldn't have touched the salad and only ate the bread if we put it out for the birds).

click here

Quickbeam 18:51 21 Oct 2013

Not much, I've got a dog.

woodchip 18:53 21 Oct 2013

Things I throw are Black Plums that do not ripen and just chucked out some nectarines for same reason, they shrivelled up before ripening. Tomatoes that go to water in days. But its not every week far from it that the above happens

john bunyan 18:58 21 Oct 2013

Sometimes a cut loaf turns mildew. Occasional nectarine fruit goes soft. Not a lot really- we do freeze stuff if plans change (relatives no turning up after shopping done) To my wife's annoyance I use the "sniff" test and sometimes eat after the official "sell by or use by" date.

morddwyd 19:10 21 Oct 2013

Our food waste is collected separately.

I put out one small (5 litre) biodegradable bag every two weeks, never full, normally contains egg shells, bones, fruit stones etc.

Can't remember the last time I threw bread away, not even one slice.

canarieslover 19:28 21 Oct 2013

One of the biggest wastes has to be the BOGOF offers so we get round that by giving the extra, that we wouldn't normally buy, to one of our sons. They sometimes do the same for us so at least we do cut down on some of what would otherwise be wasted. Brown bananas get converted to banana loaves but some other fruit does tend to go off before we can consume it, again where it is as cheap to buy a packet of ten or so as it is to buy five loose.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:33 21 Oct 2013

What little we don't eat, mostly spud and onion peelings together with used tea-bags, goes into the compost bin. Odd bits of bread end up in bread pudding.

QuizMan 20:48 21 Oct 2013

As little as possible. I try to grow as much fruit and veg as I can fit into my garden. It's amazing how frugal I can be with wastage when I have put in all that effort.

Aitchbee 20:55 21 Oct 2013

In the cooler autumn 'n' winter months, I store all of my perishable 'fruit & veg' [out-of-doors] on my verandah ... everything s fresher for much longer ... no waste!

... [this] gives me 'stacks-o-room' for chilling cans-o'-beer in my small but sufficient worktop fridge :o]

Quickbeam 22:43 21 Oct 2013

Good prioritizeing there HB!

michaelw 09:11 22 Oct 2013

I wonder how much of a contribution to this waste is the process of irradiation. Fruit and veg is nice and fresh and crisp when bought, but they very soon deteriate, unnaturally quickly, even after only a few days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone