How Many Email Contacts We Have

Crosstrainer2 16:58 27 Jul 2011
Answered

It's really surprising. I have been connected (finally) to VM fast fibre optic BB. I thought that most of the day would be spent setting up my network, ATV iPad etc. But most of it has been working my way through, and updating countless email contacts, accounts for bank, AV Water rates etc.etc.

It really hit's home just how much we rely on the web for just about everything now.

Since I have not done this for a while, it was a pain, yet reassuring to know just how many companies make us jump through hoops, re-enter passwords, follow this link etc.

Phew.....Worth it though, my iMac now has the fast connection it deserves. The PCA change was the easiest of all....No hoops, just change the address and go!

interzone55 17:22 27 Jul 2011

Your experience is the very reason I've used webmail for so long.

First it was Hotmail, then I was one of the early beta testers for Gmail (I'm lucky enough to have a firstname.surname address with Gmail), so since 2004 I've had the same personal email address, which is a bit different to work, where I've had four email addresses in the last six years whilst sat at the same desk working for the same company...

Crosstrainer2 17:49 27 Jul 2011

alan14

I managed to keep mine too, the hardest part of all this was actually persuading VM that you CAN have BB on it's own :))

wiz-king 18:00 27 Jul 2011

"the hardest part of all this was actually persuading VM that you CAN have BB on it's own :))" ...... Yes, and don't they know how to charge for it!

Forum Editor 19:33 27 Jul 2011

You raise an interesting point, one that nowadays faces many people when an ISP change means a new email address.

It's why increasing numbers of people opt for a domain name of their own - one that gives them the ability to create an email address and keep it, regardless of ISP changes.

It costs relatively little to register a name and have it hosted. A few minutes to set up a new account in your chosen email software, and that's it - no more email address changes, ever. You get webmail access as well.

ams4127 20:18 27 Jul 2011

FE. That could make for a good magazine article sometime in the future.

morddwyd 20:24 27 Jul 2011

I've had the same e-mail address since the mid-nineties, a web-mail one.

Every timer I change ISP I've received another one, but I've never used any of them.

When GMail was starting up somebody sent me an "invite" and I registered simply to get the free online storage (Google were the only ones offering it then)but I find I do use it quite often as I sometimes find it convenient to have an alternative.

Those are the only two I've ever used.

OTT_B 21:31 27 Jul 2011

I've got countless email addresses, but in the end, none of them are ISP mail addresses they all come back to one of two mailboxes - one gmail and one hotmail. The hotmail account I've had for 10 years or so, and gmail for about (5?) years.

I'm quite jealous of your new BB connection, Crosstrainer2.

Aitchbee 22:15 27 Jul 2011

FE - It's why increasing numbers of people opt for a domain name of their own - one that gives them the ability to create an email address and keep it, regardless of ISP changes.

Will my new web-site aitchbee.com give me that ability?

My hotmail email address is the one I use at the moment.

Forum Editor 22:37 27 Jul 2011

AitchBEE

Yes, provided you have opted for a normal hosting package with your chosen web host you'll have the ability to create your own mailbox(es), and have a unique email address.

Once you have set up the mailbox - a process that takes about 30 seconds via your hosting control panel - you can create a new account in your email software, and that's it - you'll be able to send and receive via [email protected]

Aitchbee 22:47 27 Jul 2011
Answer

Thanks Forum Editor. Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?