How many driving test and driving standards?

Noldi 13:00 24 Sep 2010

I was collected by my Daughter today from the Airport and was quite shocked by her standard of driving that I actually spoke to her once we where home. I realised my Son who took 3 tests before passing is a very good driver not flustered by any other road users. My Daughter passed 1st time and is a raving lunatic when somebody dares to cause her an inconvenience while she’s driving. My Mother also passed first time and I don’t feel OK driving with her.

What are your thoughts on people, who pass first time, are they worse drivers than those who take many?..
I passed 2nd time but my driving is too inpatient and aggressive at times.

Noldi

MAJ 13:48 24 Sep 2010

I don't think you can generalise like that, Noldi, I had one lesson, followed by my test which I passed first time and there are no better everyday drivers on the road than I am.

how people's personalities change once they're behind the steering wheel of their car. I know some people that are usually very gentle and easy going under normal circumstances, yet once they start driving they becoming the raving lunatic you describe.

I don't think it has anything to do with how many tests they took before they passed (one of my friends that is quite aggressive behind the wheel took about 7-8 tests before he passed!) - some people just seem to have an over-inflated sense of self importance once they're on the road.

hssutton 14:05 24 Sep 2010

I thought I was very fortunate when learning to drive. A police sergeant lived next door and an Inspector two doors away. They organised all my driving lessons along with off duty coppers.

The day I went for my test the Sergeant took me. On the way he said "forget all we have told you or you will fail" Actually I passed, but it took two "write offs" and a couple of minor prangs to make me a better driver.

babybell 14:05 24 Sep 2010

With only 5 minors as well. 10 years later and (touch wood) no accidents and no road rage incidents

Macscouse 16:09 24 Sep 2010

Learned to drive in the Army, my main instructor was my corporal, Leo Heaps, who sat with a 3/16" welding rod in his hand. Any mistakes meant the rod being belted over the back of the neck. I never seemed to make the same mistake twice. That was before the HGV licence was in place. One day I would be driving a Landrover, the next day, a Scammell 20 ton recovery wagon, or similar. I soon learned to drive properly, although my neck has never been the same.

Noldi 16:56 24 Sep 2010

My line of thinking is maybe when you fail a test you think ok take this a bit more seriously. When you pass first time this is easy I’m the best.

fourm member
“Is your daughter naturally more of 'a lunatic' than her brother?”
She’s an animal loving person today was a complete shock to me.

Noldi

Diemmess 17:54 24 Sep 2010

Good driving must be an attitude of mind.
Willingness to stay focussed on what you are doing ignoring any distractions.
Patience and anticipation of hazards as they arrive.
Plus of course a good instructor.

Already at the age where insurance companies start to mutter about trying someone else, I took and passed the IMA course in 2008.
The observer was good and over a few weeks gave me back my flagging confidence mainly by taming my impatience.

1950 was my first licence after family friends taught me. Three tests at short intervals, and I was on my own to pick up the skill as I went along.

I have two sons and two daughters the elder son is the best I know in spite of three tests for which, he blames me!
His older sister bumps into stationary objects now and then when in a hurry and collects speed tickets, but I don't feel anxious about being driven by any of them.

The sisters are not only good looking, but had smiles to match, which makes me wonder if that helped passing first time.

Diemmess 18:05 24 Sep 2010

Obviously IAM not IMA, and the sisters both had mainly professional instruction throughout rather than just pre-test help

ams4127 20:54 24 Sep 2010

My Dad bought me my first car, 1936 Model Y Ford, for my eleventh birthday. I learnt to drive it on the farm in Ireland where I grew up. I crashed into haystacks, ditches and anything/everything else. By the time I was legally able to drive I had got all the wildness out of my system.

So.....

On my sixteenth birthday I wandered into the local post office in nearby village called Slane, gave him a quid and he gave me a licence. After joining the RAF I continued using my Irish licence since it was valid in the UK for a year or until it expired, whichever was the shortest.

Each year I went home to visit my parents and renewed the licence. This went on for a good few years. Finally, while serving at RAF Laarbruch I handed it in and received a BFG licence. On my return to the UK I handed that in and received a full UK licence.

I am legally allowed to drive anything up to and including a steam locomotive weighing up to 250 tons.

I would love to know whether anyone else in the UK has ever done this, or am I the only one?

Never had an accident (touch wood) and can count up to 51 years of no claims. Am slightly annoyed that I can only claim for six!!

Strawballs 21:27 24 Sep 2010

It sounds more like a sexist thing and jealousy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?