How many Chancellors does it take to change ......

Ho-Lin-Sok 09:06 13 Mar 2007

....a light bulb,

Well just one it seems, along with standby buttons on your telly etc. It is estimated by "You know who" that the average British houshold will save £200 per year after the changes, so what's the betting he is planning a Wizard wheeze to unburden you of your new found wealth probably to help pay for the proposed new COAL fired power station on the blocks.

Stuartli 09:54 13 Mar 2007

The move is all very well in theory, but to demand blanket use for a product that is unsuited for the all round purpose proposed is knee-jerk reaction at its worse.

I use energy saving bulbs (many of them Philips examples bought at 49p each from Morrisons and thus acquired in bulk), but only in situations where they are left on for long periods such as in the front porch overnight.

Kate B 10:17 13 Mar 2007

I'm afraid I hate energy-saving lightbulbs - the light they produce is ugly. They will have to get a lot better before I start using them.

anchor 10:59 13 Mar 2007

Kate B: I agree with you 100%. The quality of the light bears no relationship to that produced from a tungsten bulb. Moreover even the highest power one, is still not as bright as a 150w bulb in a large room.

I do have two energy-saving lightbulbs in my home; one in a table lamp as a backlight when we watch TV; the other in the rear bedroom, which we leave on for security when we go out.

royalflush 12:58 13 Mar 2007

You coulndt of said it any better there HORRIBLE (With a capital H) the light from them isnt at all natural looking & there longer than the normal one,i can see gordan brown using these in his house..!!! NOT

oresome 14:43 13 Mar 2007

There should be no need to switch off at the wall socket if the product on/off switch really interupts the mains input and stops all power consumption. The EU is a big enough market place to force the manufacturers hands on this.

I expect we will see some rapid development with low energy light bulbs to correct some of the shortcomings.

Isn't it about time we standardised light bulb fittings? I never know whether to purchase Edison Screw or bayonet fitting or the minature version of either without first examining the light fitting.

crosstrainer 15:08 13 Mar 2007

I am embarresed to admit that I only have one light fitting left in my entire house which will except standard ligh fittings....all the rest are halogen spotlights...the green lobby would kill me, but as Kate b said, those energy saving lighbulbs are horrible...even my lamps which came from (swears loudly in "never going there again mode") Ikea, and are screw fittings so willnot take the ugly, long energy saving bulbs.

Added to this, there are some things you HAVE to leave on standby overnight else they forget what they are...my PVR (time, date recording timongs etc.) my hi-fi (same reasons) microwave and cooker....I could spend three hours playing with buttons and remotes every morning...just not practical.

crosstrainer 15:08 13 Mar 2007

I am embarresed to admit that I only have one light fitting left in my entire house which will except standard ligh fittings....all the rest are halogen spotlights...the green lobby would kill me, but as Kate b said, those energy saving lighbulbs are horrible...even my lamps which came from (swears loudly in "never going there again mode") Ikea, and are screw fittings so willnot take the ugly, long energy saving bulbs.

Added to this, there are some things you HAVE to leave on standby overnight else they forget what they are...my PVR (time, date recording timongs etc.) my hi-fi (same reasons) microwave and cooker....I could spend three hours playing with buttons and remotes every morning...just not practical.

Belatucadrus 17:15 13 Mar 2007

Just to provide a counterpoint, most of the lights in out house are low energy ones and they don't cause any problems at all. They also only cost us a pound a piece from the local shops and seem to last for ever, so fitting them hasn't busted the kitty.

oresome 17:48 13 Mar 2007

crosstrainer,

Agreed with present designs, but they can be made to remember settings without being left switched on.

Belatucadrus,

Many of our lights are low energy and the biggest problem we find is the slow warm up to full brightness.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017