How long does it take to service your O/S?

octal 19:33 12 Jan 2006

I've been reading this thread with interest click here , but how long does it take you lot to run all those programs?!!

Don't forget, they have to be updated as well as running them. Please tell, because I'm interested to know what you think is an acceptable time spent on these activities.

Thalmus 19:38 12 Jan 2006

I myself schedule them to run overnight, let them auto update themsleves, checking every now and then to make sure they are up to date.

monday = norton system check
tueday = spyware scans
wednesday = antivirus scan
thursday = defrag c:
friday = defrag d:

and then give it the weekend off.......

Totally-braindead 19:48 12 Jan 2006

Before I got Broadband I used to update on particular nights, now the updates download so fast I have no set schedule. Everything than I have that will autoupdate is set to do so though I do prefer to double check by manually updating once or twice a week. Defragging I only do every 2 or 3 weeks or so more if I've been putting a lot of stuff on or deleting a lot.
Run antivirus and spyware checks about twice a week and thats about it I suppose.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:48 12 Jan 2006

Ccleaner once a week. Defrag HD once every six months. MS Antispy once a month or so...errrm, that's it.

G

IPA 20:13 12 Jan 2006

Nod 32 , microsoft antispyware, automatically daily. Adaware ,Spybot every 3/4 days.Defrag and CCleaner weekly.

Skills 20:24 12 Jan 2006

Since getting a router, and spywareblaster not as often as I was. MS antispyware is set to autorun daily, antivirus autoupdates and I try and do a scan once a week.

Cleanup at least once a week, defrag varries depends on how much ive been installing and moving files about.

SG Atlantis® 21:10 12 Jan 2006

Spyware one day and the virus the next. A week later roughly do it again.

How long does it to do a few double clicks? The scans are running while I'm doing something else.

Defrag when I remember, everything updates itself.

VoG II 21:33 12 Jan 2006

For Ad-aware, Spybot and so on I only run them if I suspect an issue or when an update is released.

My Saturday routine involves Disk Cleanup, RegscrubXP, defrag with Diskeeper and a quick scan with MS Antispywate. 30 minutes max.

Automated unattended image created using Norton Ghost at 5am every Wednesday.

octal 22:09 12 Jan 2006

Thanks folks, not as bad as I imagined.

When I used to run Windows it used to take ages to run the A/V and just as long to defrag, obviously things have moved on.

Chegs ®™ 09:35 16 Jan 2006

I frequently pass comment on the updates and actual running of all the anti-apps for windows are starting to take-over my PC enjoyment.I have as many as I can,set to auto-run/auto-update but there are many that don't possess these features in the freeware versions.I have diskeeper pro,set to "set & forget" which only runs if and when needed,and only when I'm not actually using the PC.Also,the frequency of update release would mean VoG's method would still require daily usage. ;-))

Forum Editor 10:01 16 Jan 2006

get CCleaned once a week, defragged once every couple of months, and spyware scanned once a month.

Nothing more has ever been necessary. There's far too much paranoia surrounding these issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)