How Jeans conquered the world

Blackhat 13:21 28 Feb 2012

Interesting little article from the BBC.

BBC Article

I am late 40’s now and live in Jeans these days but wasn’t allowed any until I had a job and could buy my own.

NewestRoyWidd1 16:23 28 Feb 2012

I wouldn't be without my jeans,being of the"baby-boomer"generation.Having to wear a uniform for work,there's nothing nicer than being able to wear a pair on informal social occasions, ie pub nights and rugby matches etc.

Granted though that I need a slightly looser fit these days than the skin tight ones of my teen years!

wee eddie 16:27 28 Feb 2012

To me as a teenager, at the beginning of the 60's, they were the only trousers that you could wash at the laundrette!

Kevscar1 16:31 28 Feb 2012

Jeans, blue suede winklepicker boots, black silk shirt, whits silk tie and and black tasselled leather jacket. Those were the days

Bingalau 17:00 28 Feb 2012

I can remember talking to my wife about this phenomenon years ago.

Jeans/Wranglers were worn by workers in lieu of boiler suits, as work trousers. (or cowboys in black and white movies).

We were saying how we wished we had bought shares in "jeans" and also "batteries"... Because although we never wore jeans, everybody else seems to have done so for the last thirty forty or fifty years. (So it's not a fashion fad). Going back to just post war batteries were used only for torches and when the war ended and torches were unused because all the lights came back on. Who would have foreseen the upsurge in the use of batteries in those days?

I still don't like seeing people wearing jeans though, I think they should be kept as work-wear.

john bunyan 17:22 28 Feb 2012

"I still don't like seeing people wearing jeans though"

Specially Jeremy Clarkson - which is why I do not wear them !(Apart from the fact my waistline ain't wot it used to be)

lotvic 20:14 28 Feb 2012

Now what do I do? I went shopping today for something entirely different and came back with 3 new pairs of Jeans #-o

They're in the washer at the mo' - I like to wash 'em before first wearing. Does anyone else also do up all fasteners, zips etc and then turn Jeans inside out before washing?

Aitchbee 20:39 28 Feb 2012

I remember when 'shrink-fit' wranglers were all-the-rage.

Some people used to put them on and sit in a bath full of water to get a good contour leg-fit.

Also, when drying the jeans, in front of a real, blazing, coal fire...there was always a fantastic scented aroma...almost like a perfume!

morddwyd 20:56 28 Feb 2012

Didn't buy my first pair of jeans until the late 70s,when I was in my forties.

I've still never worn them outside my own garden, except once, to a barn dance.

To me they are workwear.

lotvic 00:30 29 Feb 2012

morddwyd, does that mean you haven't done or don't do any work :-?

Chegs ®™ 07:04 29 Feb 2012

I couldn't afford branded jeans as a teenager so my Mother made me a pair.I wore these so often they had to be patched,& for drama lessons we were told to bring a pair of jeans so I turned up in my patched,holed jeans which also gained numerous drawings upon them.I had this pair of jeans for many years until there was nothing but patches and a few threads of the original pants left,but they weren't totally dead yet as I cut the legs off & used the shorts as swimwear for quite a few years after.It was only once I couldn't get into them that they were disposed of.I quit wearing jeans when no matter the brand,the waistband stretches & I need a belt to hold them up due to getting fat & they aren't comfortable and look terrible with the loops of denim hanging from the belt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone