How ink cartridges go to waste (incredible)

tein 17:13 01 Sep 2009

60% left in the cartridges when the pc says there empty.?

click here

Monoux 18:01 01 Sep 2009

My Epson counts the number of pages printed and once that is exceeded it starts the messages re changing the cartridge. This means that one line printed on say 200 pages could mean you are prompted for a new cartridge

The answer I've found to be a chip resetter which ressets the page count on the cartridge to zero and off you go again.

v1asco 18:47 01 Sep 2009

buy a printer that uses see through cartridges, such as brother

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 01 Sep 2009

...or buy a CISS system and save bucketloads of cash.

G

Chegs ®™ 19:50 01 Sep 2009

..or buy a CISS system and save bucketloads of cash.

I bought a new printer that came supplied with a CISS,only problems I have found were...

a)to install the feedpipes for the CISS I had to hack a chunk out of both the printer lid & the cartridge holders.The CISS/printer came from the same supplier & had no installation instructions.

b)I have asked my PC repairers on three separate occasions where I can get bottles of ink for it & was told three times "we can order them" but despite my placing orders,none have yet been supplied so this particular shop is no longer going to get my custom.

I dont use my printers very often,the previous printer I had I found the cartridges were a)bloody expensive & b)the cartridges would dry up & only replacing them would get the printer working again.

spuds 20:35 01 Sep 2009

There are a number of quantity ink suppliers on eBay. I have made purchases, and all have been okay.

Another is burn-media.co.uk who also go under the names of Buytech.co.uk and JSR UK Ltd.

Another company continuous-ink-system.co.uk

Covergirl 20:51 01 Sep 2009

Software ink levels reset and more. click here

Used it for years but I couldn't vouch it was absolutely reliable - I had fewer printer problems when I just replaced the cartridge with a new compatible

ol blueeyes 16:27 02 Sep 2009

I must concur I use a Brother Printer and never had any wasted Ink. The see through Cartridges must be the proper way of doing it. Well done Brother.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:48 02 Sep 2009

Hacking a piece out of the printer is a small price to pay. You can buy the inks from many retailers on Ebay for about £2.00/100ml and they will be delivered in a few days click here If you do not use the printer for a month or two just run the maintenance prog and clean the heads...works every time.

G

jack 17:28 02 Sep 2009

Which is I guess one way of not letting cartrdge prices get to me
Bu watch this space when my colou Laser wands some toner.

I don;t do much printing so it will be a while yet,

The printer I gave away on FreeCycle [Epson R300 with CISS]was taken by a printer who intends to use it for 'Proofing'

Stuartli 18:57 02 Sep 2009

I have an Epson R300 (pack of six compatible cartridges about £4.50 at click here) and have never switched it off; this is because it doesn't otherwise have to go through the ink-wasting cleaning routine each time it's switched on.

It's also permanently ready for immediate use rather than having to wait for the cleaning routine to be undertaken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?