How to get out of a bus lane fine

Colonel Graham 00:14 26 Jul 2011

Hope this is not against the rules, but take a look http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=826663

zzzz999 07:17 26 Jul 2011

Perhaps not driving in the bus lane would be the easiest way?

I don't think your link is working.

Quickbeam 08:42 26 Jul 2011

The first answer after the question in that forum is "dont used bus lanes then you wont get fines - simple really."

I can see the early signs of a pattern forming...

sunnystaines 09:17 26 Jul 2011

most buses have good quality cctv, so if you take the risk make sure no buses near by or council cctv on poles.

only a fool would risk it these days, but it is annoying two lanes reduced to one on busy roads because of a bus lane and no buses in sight. they should revert to the original bus lanes which were rush hours only not 24/7

dagbladet 09:32 26 Jul 2011

I read through the Sheffield thread wondering what little quirk of law or loophole was going to be revealed, only to find the initial poster getting deeper and deeper into the mire and looking a bit of a numpty.

The initial "don't use the bus lane" type responses in both the Sheffield and this forum was inevitable. Any kind of thread on here that seeks advice regarding opinion when one has felt harshly treated by some kind of law, ruling or judgement will almost without fail, recieve these blanket type responses, with little thought. I sometimes think the responder hasn't even read the thread at times.

johndrew 10:32 26 Jul 2011

Surely if you want to avoid such a fine you simply use a police driver and change your name to Tony Blair ;-)))

n47. 11:49 26 Jul 2011

How to get out of a bus lane fine

Quickly modify the car to look like a bus.

Find a young lady who has just given birth and take her with the pram to explain ' your wife's waters had broken and you had to dash to the maternity hospital'

Sell the car to an illiterate Irish paddy and on the dvla selling section put down the date of sale before the offence.

£30 saved :-)

interzone55 11:52 26 Jul 2011

It really is simple, don't drive into a bus lane, in most places they're monitored by CCTV.

In Manchester a load of Bus Lane fines had to be revoked though, as the council had re-purposed regular street CCTV to monitor the bus lanes rather than using dedicated cameras, this is because some of the angles were dodgy so it wasn't always clear if the car had crossed the lines. That may be a possible way to avoid a fine, see which camera took the photo.

One place I worked I received all the fines from the fleet drivers, which were naturally forwarded to the driver. One day I got a call from a driver, he'd just received his letter for driving in a bus lane in London, but wanted to lodge a complaint, because he'd had to drive in the lane because there was a broken down car blocking the road.

Took a while to sort, but we eventually managed to get that fine cancelled

Aitchbee 12:17 26 Jul 2011

I don't think you can extricate yourself very easily. It's a bit like sticky flypaper...works a treat.

woodchip 14:50 26 Jul 2011

dagbladet

I read through the Sheffield thread wondering what little quirk of law or loophole was going to be revealed, only to find the initial poster getting deeper and deeper into the mire and looking a bit of a numpty.

fully agree

JanetO 15:59 26 Jul 2011

...or blame it on the wife like Chris Huhne did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone