How to fix PVC sheets to cat pens?

Graham* 16:01 27 Dec 2011

Project for the weekend: We have some new cat pens in a location exposed to wind. We have some polycarbonate sheets to fix over the mesh panels.

Ideally, they should be easily removable in hot sunny weather. I can visualise a small plate with a threaded centre that could be fixed to the frame of the pen. Then it would be easy to remove the sheets, leaving the small plates in place.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Quickbeam 16:15 27 Dec 2011

I misread the title at first, making it even more bizarre that it already is!

ton 16:30 27 Dec 2011

U shaped pieces of aluminium screwed to the frame, so the sheets could slot in and be lifted out for cleaning.

SparkyJack 17:36 27 Dec 2011

If the mesh is strudy[rigid] then drill two holes one each side of verical in sceral locations and use sturdyvwire[frncing] through one hole around the verical bar and back out and twist the ends together to secure panel to mesh 4 per panel should suffice.

Aitchbee 17:54 27 Dec 2011

I used some small greenhouses as a framework to hold the contents of 20 big bags of leaves.

I would also recommend reading ' The Adventures Robinson Crusoe ' for more inspiration!

Forum Editor 18:03 27 Dec 2011

Use the solution recommended by ton.

Get some lengths of aluminium or plastic angle and screw them vertically to the framing. Then you can slide the polycarbonate panels in and out quite easily.

WhiteTruckMan 18:56 27 Dec 2011

Fixing the sheets to the pens is the easy part.

After that you have to herd the cats into the pens.

Good luck.

WTM

wiz-king 19:11 27 Dec 2011

For my dog kennels I use twin-wall poly carbonate held to the wooden posts with screws and large 'penny washers' about every 9". these panels go from floor to about 6" from roof hight, the kennels have a roof that extends about a foot beyond the front wall so that rain doesn't blow in.

Graham* 19:35 27 Dec 2011

ton & FE

Thanks, but there isn't the headroom to do that. These are separate cabins under one roof.

ton 19:52 27 Dec 2011

In that case, aluminium U or angle at one end, then three or four self tappers into wood at the other end.

wiz-king 19:55 27 Dec 2011

I have a twin kennel for the dogs, the whole of the front wall is plastic, as is the centre partition, I just left a gap at each end for a dog to get in out of the rain, sometimes I find both dogs and a couple of cats all in the same kennel. However this time of year the cats seem to prefer to sleep in the bales of hay and straw in the barn - in the hope of getting a take-away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?