How far would you go to protect your child?

Cymro. 15:44 01 Apr 2009

click here

In no way whatsoever am I even trying to justify what this women has done by lying to the police. No`r am I trying to be in any way sexist but from experience of life in general I think that a mother is much more likely to lie in this way to protect he son. Possibly it is something to do with a mothers protective instinct.

A male relative of mine phoned the police when he found that his young son was driving about when very drunk. It was not the first time for this to happen and the father had warned the boy that if he heard that he was driving when over the limit he would himself phone the police.

The mother has still to this day never forgiven her husband for doing this. The boy was stopped by the police and found to be very much over the drink driving limit. So much that even for what was a first offence the boy had a two year driving ban.

Personally I think the father did the right thing and I have myself congratulated him on doing so. But is there a point at which you would not report you child to the police? I think the woman in the link was very wrong and the man with the son who drove while drunk very right.

Yes I know that these two examples are fairly cut and dry and that there are shades of gray in such things, but where would you draw the line and phone the police, but perhaps more interesting, when would you not phone the police and perhaps even lie to them for your child?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:00 01 Apr 2009

The idiot woman was not protecting him, she was lying for him. There is a world of difference between 'protecting' and 'lying' I would have doubled her sentence as a warning to all and sundry.

G

Cymro. 16:05 01 Apr 2009

That`s as may be GANDALF but not the point of this thread. The last line of my posting reads "when would you not phone the police and perhaps even lie to them for your child?"

As it happens I agree with what you say about the silly woman's sentence.

Jak_1 17:32 01 Apr 2009

Protecting a child from harm is one thing, but lying to the police in an attempt to evade prosecution is an offence. Perverting the course of justice carries a prison term as she has found out. Lying to escape justice is not protection as such!

Chris the Ancient 17:53 01 Apr 2009

Very many years ago, my oldest (#1) son came to live with me and my second wife. Which was a mistake. He was a dirty (unhygienic) little toe-rag. Hid things, lied about things, bunking off school and all those usual sorts of things.

I found out, after a while, that he had been close to dabbling with drugs (only at the pain killer stage). We quickly got the appropriate help there and, as far as I know, nipped that in the bud.

Later, he started petty thieving from us and our au pair. It took a while to actually prove it was him; but we did. I had absolutely no compunction about it. I reported him to the local, village policeman (who was also actually a friend).

He had the riot act read to him - no prosecution because, at that time, he was under 16. It did no good.

Psychiatric help was sought. That did no good either.

Eventually, we had no alternative other than evicting him. Social Services helped into finding accommodation. He moved around various 'flop houses'.

Then he went back to his mother. He became the 'apple of her eye' and could do no wrong - especially because of the way I had treated him. Things started going missing in her house (mainly money). Of course it wasn't him; it must have been one of the other two sons that had stayed with her all along. Eventually #2 son persuaded her to take her purse to bed at night and never leave anything of value lying around. What a way to have to live.

He found a girl and married. That lasted about seven/eight years and I'm not sure why it ended.

Some time later, a young lady phoned me (I don't know how she found my number!) asking if the stories my other sons had been saying about #1 son were true because she loved him and wanted to marry him and adopt his children. I told her that the stories were true and advised her most strongly not to marry him. But she did. It lasted about three months and he disappeared off into the blue - leaving her with the children.

But, to summarise, I would never fail to inform the correct authorities that any offspring of mine committed a criminal act. It might be their saving (even if it wasn't in my case).

Sorry to have bored you with all that!

CtA

Noldi 18:04 01 Apr 2009

I would not call this protection either.
If she had not protected him before when he was younger and made him stand up and be counted for his actions maybe things would have turned out different for several families.
Protecting your kids is to protect them from evil not to help them commit it and then get away with it.

Noldi

caccy 18:04 01 Apr 2009

Thankfully I have never been in this position but had I, I've absolutly no idea what action I would have taken.

Al94 18:07 01 Apr 2009

When you know or it is beyond reasonable doubt that someone has committed a serious crime, there is no excuse for attempting to conceal the fact regardless of who it is, relative or otherwise.

Kevscar1 19:19 01 Apr 2009

This is not new. We had a murder committed in the late 70's when I was in the Hampshire Force.A 12 year old was stabbed to death by a 14 year old. The mother had actually hidden the body to try to protect her son.
Myself no i would not cover onr lie for any of my children or Grandchildren

laurie53 20:18 01 Apr 2009

On the other hand, is it not the case that a wife cannot be forced to give evidence against her husband?

The bond between mother and son is likely to be even stronger.

Grey Goo 22:05 01 Apr 2009

You can see why the murdering swine became what he is from all this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?