How far do you go?

NIGEY 18:33 29 Nov 2006

When you put up your christmas decorations?
Do you just put up a modist tree and some nice subtle decorations,or do you go to town and cover the front of your house with flashing lights,that dim the streets lights when you plug them in?
I just like a nice tree with subtle soft lights in the corner,a few simple but affective lights in the tree outside our front door,and nice sparkly trimmings here and there?
you guys?

Jackcoms 18:36 29 Nov 2006

"How far do you go?"

Not far at all.

I get my daughters to do it.

Bah, bloody humbug.

Watchful 19:15 29 Nov 2006

A medium-sized real tree, a few garlands round the fireplace and a candle-bridge in the window. That's it.

Kate B 19:20 29 Nov 2006

erm, "false and chav" is a very sweeping statement, pattoo. Sure, some decorations are considerably less to my taste than others, but I like some simple ones and so I imagine do many others.

Bingalau 19:26 29 Nov 2006

I leave all that stuff until the last possible minute, put up just a little bit here and there. Stick the cards around the fireplace. (No fire, central heating). Grandchildren put up the Christmas tree and have done since they were about four and six years old, messy but all their own work. I prepare all the veg. and wash all the utensils/dishes etc. on Christmas Day, my wife (the boss) does all the cooking. and as soon as Boxing Day is over, down come all the deccies and back into the attic they go again. Can't wait to get back to normal routine. (Proper Scrooge) All the family and I have a really good time though, honest!! ..Bingalau..

NIGEY 19:30 29 Nov 2006

Oh dear...anyone seen the tv programs grumpy old men&women???

paddyjack 19:52 29 Nov 2006

Dont bother with them just me and the dog so a waste of time.
Besides the grandkids don't even notice, so long as they can get on the computer thats all they want.

Kate B 20:02 29 Nov 2006

Yes, indeed - but it's thoughtless and rude to slag off what might be someone else's taste. No need for it.

Forum Editor 20:03 29 Nov 2006

"Tree up on xmas eve and down on boxing day!!, cannot stand xmas decs so ".

What a miserable way to celebrate Christmas. If Christmas decorations are false and chav why do you bother at all?

Jackcoms 20:09 29 Nov 2006

"Tree up on xmas eve and down on boxing day!!, cannot stand xmas decs so."

"What a miserable way to celebrate Christmas"

Which, of course, completely overlooks the real reason Christians celebrate Christmas.

It's actually nothing to do with trees, decorations or even presents.

Watchful 20:11 29 Nov 2006

For me a few simple decorations, candles and lights brighten up these dark days and make the home look cheerful and festive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone