How effective..

spuds 18:25 28 Sep 2006

is junk mail?.

Reading a report today, and it states that there are 3.4 billion pieces of junk mail sent out every year, which equates to approximately 60 unrequested letters to every man,woman and child in the UK. Of that about 750 million are binned straight away, without opening. About 22% of charity mail requesting support is also binned before opening.

Direct mailing companies say that as little as 1% of 'direct mail' is responded to, which according to them, makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Cutting the figures down, MBNA come in at number one, who send out 100 million mailshots with Lloyds TSB at number two, who send out approx 91 million mailshots per year.

What's your views. Is junk mail really effective?.

[email protected] 18:36 28 Sep 2006

Well it must work or they wouldn't bother sending it out but personally I bin most of it without opening it but if I don't recognise it as *junk mail* I open it first then bin it.

The free weekly newspaper gets binned without even opening the pages or looking at any of the myriad of leaflets that come with it.I asked the chap who delivers it if he would kindly put it straight into the green bin to be re-cycled and so save me the trouble but I am afraid he did not appreciate the joke!!

Cymro. 18:44 28 Sep 2006

To pattoo it seems to be good business, but to most of the rest of us it is just a pain in the backside.

Cymro. 18:50 28 Sep 2006

Come to think of it, I wonder if the return pattoo mentions, about £200,000 is clear profit, must be a nice little earner.

Forum Editor 19:10 28 Sep 2006

junk mail has produced a positive response rate of around 1%, so pattoo's experience makes perfect sense.

That kind of return might seem insignficant, but when contrasted with other forms of advertising the cost of junkmail is low, and if each of the responses can be turned into a sale the rewards are probably worth it. To be a viable proposition the product or service you're selling in this way has to be a reasonably high-value one. You wouldn't run a junkmail promotion for hairbrushes.

Kate B 20:11 28 Sep 2006

I'm afraid I don't distinguish between unsolicited and junk. It's all junk and it all goes straight in the bin.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:24 28 Sep 2006

Exactly as I do :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 28 Sep 2006

Junk mail?

What's that?

SP2, my ISPs' filtering and a few simple mail rules means I don't get any.

Belatucadrus 21:49 28 Sep 2006

If it bugs you that much, why not try registering with the Mailing preference service click here The hardcopy equivalent of the equally useful telephone preference service. Give it a try, the trees will love you even if the leaflet printers don't.

GaT7 22:18 28 Sep 2006

Belatucadrus, that's exactly what I did a few years ago, which has reduced the 'unsolicited' mail to a tiny trickle & the junk calls to vitually non-existent : )) G

rdave13 22:22 28 Sep 2006

I don't mind the "junk mail" as it goes directly to the recycle bin. If it means that the PO has extra revenue and will help to keep postage costs down then roll on junk mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?