How on earth can one count 681million transistors?

Brumas 22:29 08 Dec 2006

Does anyone need that ‘telephone number’ of a specification?
I do not read through hardware reviews generally as I have a new, very good spec. computer and, not being ‘geeky’ are more than pleased with what I have got – but in the latest mag the Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card review caught my eye ,for no particular reason and that is where the stats come from. Admittedly, I do not use the computer for anything ‘really exciting’ but it does excel for what I do use it for.

No doubt I shall get put in my place by the high-tech experts out there but, for heaven’s sake, 681,000,000 transistors, huh!

Vangeliska 22:35 08 Dec 2006

I wouldn't worry about it, they are probably on a 1" square chip!

squillary 22:37 08 Dec 2006

I imagine that if they can put that many transistors on a chip and know they're there in all the right order, counting them is trivial.

Brumas 22:46 08 Dec 2006

Vangeliska - I'm not worried ,just amazed at the number!

Vangeliska 22:50 08 Dec 2006

Just thought you were going to try and count them, lol

wiz-king 08:16 09 Dec 2006

I wonder if that includes the duds.
I think of the drawing office junior standing at a large drawing board with the chip layout on marking all the transistors with a felt-tip pen, tally counter in hand! but somehow I don't think so.

€dstowe 09:27 09 Dec 2006

Remember each transistor has three leads.

Think of the poor woman in a Taiwan sweatshop soldering each one by hand - again, I don't think so.

Forum Editor 09:49 09 Dec 2006

They're made using three layers in the silicone,, and it's an incredibly complex process.

wee eddie 09:57 09 Dec 2006

One moment it's up, the next it's down!

Brumas 10:21 09 Dec 2006

All this technical stuff at this time of the morning is making, what passes for my brain, hurt! but thanks for the explanations.
I think I shall have a nice cup of tea now, this doesn't require any thinking and it brings more contentment then the answers ;oO

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:54 09 Dec 2006

You could count the tea leaves instead or see your future in the bottom of the cup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache