How do you feel about your December spending?

fourm member 15:26 07 Jan 2014

In total, I spent just over £100 on things related to Christmas and New Year and, I know, that makes me very untypical.

News reports are talking about how well or how badly retailers did in December.

We keep being told the economy needs structural change not just a short-term fix and I wondered which you'd gone for.

Did you cut your spend because times are tight just as they were in the past few years?

Or, have you found you can have as much enjoyment without having to spend on frivolous items and you think you'll keep doing that regardless of how much the economy grows?

namtas 15:35 07 Jan 2014

It was Christmas, so my wife and I bought what we felt we wanted to give a presents, my wife has her Galaxy tab 3 so she is happy. We probably over purchased food as you do, but we did what we wanted to do and it is all paid for without credit. so I am happy

iscanut 15:59 07 Jan 2014

The only unusual spend for us was presents for the grandchildren otherwise apart from a couple of extra bottles of wine, not muchmorethan normal.

lotvic 16:46 07 Jan 2014

As per usual feel okay about spend, nothing on credit. Less than £100 extra, a couple of pressies and a couple of outings. Very enjoyable.

Forum Editor 17:42 07 Jan 2014

We definitely reduced our Christmas spend this year. We spent far less on food and drink, and found that we didn't lack for anything in that direction. In past years we have ended up with all kinds of half-full boxes and jars of this and that, and this year we decided to be more restrained.

We spent less and ate less, and as a consequence the New Year finds us feeling better than we have felt for several years, both physically and financially. It will be that way every Christmas from now on.

Quickbeam 18:06 07 Jan 2014

Between £2/300 at the most, I didn't keep a tab, but that's much less than say 6 years ago, so I reckon I'm at the lower end compared to some I know that will take 6 months or more to recover.

And I also didn't want for anything which is the biggest surprise.

fourm member 18:35 07 Jan 2014

So, the FE is the only one saying his ways have changed because his family's enjoyment didn't suffer from the lower spend.

That's the point I was trying to get at. Are we different people from who we were in 2008?

Quickbeam 19:41 07 Jan 2014

There can't be many left that haven't had to change their financial budgeting drastically over the last few years fm.

We got used to spending well, well in excess, in recent decades, but when I think back to the early '60s, Christmas with one reasonable present, an apple, an orange and a selection box with home made decorations in the living room were all with happy memories. It's what you make of it with what you have at the time.

spuds 00:14 08 Jan 2014

I can possibly say that our household didn't boost the Christmas economy with a spend spend experience.

Plenty of food already in stock, and a new central heating boiler giving warmth, so we had all the comforts and needs already in place.

mole1944 06:55 08 Jan 2014

I'm 69 always lived within my means, still live on 2/3 of my income if I don't need it I don't get it. The recession was caused mainly by people buying goods they didn't need with money they hadn't got i.e. savers money, ask yourself two questions do I need it can I afford it if you stall on anyone of these don't get it, simple as that.

fourm member 09:21 08 Jan 2014

spider9

What you didn't do was project forward as the FE did.

Did you find that your enjoyment was as good as if there had been no spending limits? Will that mean you have permanently changed your approach to the Christmas period?

What I'm trying to get at is whether long-term habits have been changed or are we going to go back to the way things were?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?