how do you cook baked potatoes

iqs 18:22 26 Nov 2010

Hi,

Just wondering how you cook a baked potatoe ?

Do you slice it first,stick a fork in it,whats your preference.
Also how long do you bake it for?

I ask out of curiosity,because my last attempt at baked potatoes was a failure .

Thanks

Quickbeam 18:34 26 Nov 2010
  IClaudio 18:37 26 Nov 2010

Do you have a microwave? And if so, is it a combination microwave? This is the best way to cook a spud, and I was willing to pay several hundred pounds for a micro-combo, as a good baked spud is the best food on the planet :)

First, prick the spud with a fork, then wipe it with a good Olive Oil and sprinkle with Maldon Salt Crystals.

Set the microwave to Microwave for about 10 minutes (this depends on how many spuds you're cooking - 10 for one, and perhaps 2 extra minutes for each extra spud...) and then Grill for another 10 minutes.

This should give you a beautifully cooked potato with a fluffy inside and a crisp brown skin.

Mmmmmmmm, I'm off to make my dinner! ;)

karmgord 18:43 26 Nov 2010

I like them crispy so I have heat high,to make sure the insides cook I always place a skewer through the middle.

john bunyan 18:58 26 Nov 2010

Parboil them first.

Grey Goo 18:58 26 Nov 2010

What a palaver. Microwave till softish then oven for 25 mins @220C, cut a cross in the top lever apart and slosh in the butter.

oresome 19:04 26 Nov 2010

Baked potatos are already cooked!

IClaudio 19:06 26 Nov 2010

'Parboil'? That would be good for roasts, though I don't personally think it's necessary. But not for Baked, they'd fall apart surely?

monkeyboy21 19:09 26 Nov 2010

don't forget a little olive oil rubbed in to the skin followed by a spinkle of sea salt for a really crispy skin!

MBG

lotvic 19:11 26 Nov 2010

I cut half way through lengthwise then half cut width 3 times
Microwave until cooked - about 10/12 mins for 2 spuds - with a piece of kitchen roll on top of them to keep moisture in, meanwhile ordinary oven is heating up to Gas 6
Take out of microwave discard kitchen paper and put spuds in ordinary oven straight onto oven shelf for 5 mins, turn them over if needed to make sure skin is nice and crispy.
That's it, ready in under 20 mins.

peter99co 19:11 26 Nov 2010

Same as Grey Goo. Microwave in paper kitchen towel to soak up steam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?