How did this spam get on my phone?

Chris the Ancient 16:13 08 May 2008

I've been sat at my desk all afternoon, and the 'master' phone has not rung all afternoon (bliss!).

I looked at the phone just now and there is a message on the answerphone. It was spam - and I didn't get past the bit about a holiday in Nassau.

But... The phone did not ring! The CLI window shows 'Number not available'. So, I had a look at my secondary phone and there was no caller displayed in that CLI window.

So how the heck did somebody get a message directly onto my answerphone, without the phone ringing, and without leaving a caller ID on my secondary phone?

Or am I losing my marbles?

Chris the Ancient 16:49 08 May 2008

The 'Missed Call' light wasn't flashing, either!

MrCutter 17:36 08 May 2008

I suggest you sign up to click here
Then if you get another call they are breaking the law!!

Chris the Ancient 17:47 08 May 2008

I'm already with TPS.

But, as the voice in the spam was strictly (and very) broad American, they must have originated the call from outside the country - and, therefore, not subject to TPS rules.

My main query is how it got in without me being unaware of it coming in! }-((

i had one once, a couple of years ago. i picked up the phone to make a call, and there was a bloke who sounded like manuel from fawlty towers rabbiting on about a holiday i had won, i had read somewhere that if you press a number it bills you, so i pulled the socket out the wall and when i plugged it back in (the next day) manuel was still there!
he had gone when i got back from work, never happened since, and i didnt get charged anything.
it was obvious it was a machine of some sort.

Chris the Ancient 18:34 08 May 2008

Yeah! These sort of spammers are flipping annoying. Luckily (?) I didn't press any buttons though.

It just galls me that there is some secret way into my answerphone that has bypassed the phone even having to ring; and I was just wondering how they can do it and if there was some telephone genius out there who knew how it could be done.

I know if you have a phone/fax (if anyone still has them) that the fax sends a tone on the line to tell your machine that it is a fax and not a phone. But to get straight into the answerphone...?

octal 19:28 08 May 2008

I know some answerphones can be accessed remotely using a series of tones, one of the companies I used to work for had one of these things you could squawk down the phone line at it to access various things, I thought the phone would have to ring first before you could use it though.

interzone55 20:51 08 May 2008

What I can never understand is why spam marketeers feel that they can generate sales by pissing people off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone