How could any parent do that.

Kevscar1 19:24 15 Mar 2010

Blackmail the peadophile that molested their son rather than reporting him to the police.

Forum Editor 19:27 15 Mar 2010

of a link to the story?

jimv7 19:36 15 Mar 2010
  Quickbeam 19:53 15 Mar 2010

No problem with no scruples.

WhiteTruckMan 20:14 15 Mar 2010

Except the child. At the very least, the parents are guilty of living off immoral earnings.

WTM

Kevscar1 20:35 15 Mar 2010

I hope that kid has been taken away from them.

Strawballs 12:29 16 Mar 2010

If I was a parent of a child that was abused after they did that I would want to meet them face to face if you know what I mean.

Kevscar1 12:58 16 Mar 2010

Strawballs
They did and demanded money, because of them the judge felt he couldn,t impose a custodial sentence.
Parents are not being charged, nothing to say the kid has been taken into care.

interzone55 17:08 16 Mar 2010

Some people are scum, simple as that.

People have been selling their children to sexual predators for years, so there's nothing new with this story, beyond the fact that it's reached the media...

Forum Editor 17:55 16 Mar 2010

what these people did, or their motive for doing it, I think there's a case to be made for a legal process that enables money to be extracted from child abusers by way of compensation. It might be placed in some form of trust account for the benefit of the child concerned, and spent at the discretion of trustees - who wouldn't necessarily be the parents.

My reason for taking that view is that I know there are cases where abusers go to court, plead guilty, and are released back into the community after serving a minimal sentence. It doesn't seem fair to a traumatised child that such a small price is often paid by its abuser, whereas a steep financial penalty would benefit the victim and penalise the perpetrator.

Forum Editor 18:30 16 Mar 2010

the parents are guilty of living off immoral earnings."

Whilst I can sympathise with the sentiment behind that comment it's not the case - the parents are guilty of no such thing. They might have been guilty of blackmail if the culprit hadn't paid up so willingly, but he readily complied with their request, and in truth I doubt there's any charge that can be brought against them in a legal sense, although they're obviously devoid of any sort of moral values.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017