How can ADSL compete with cable broadband?

CurlyWhirly 19:29 14 Aug 2005

I have just seen this article click here where it says that it is going to offer a 10mb cable service for only £35.

How can ADSL (in the UK this really means BT) compete with this?
I mean *if* cable was available in my area I would migrate to the cable service and I expect thousands of people feel the same.

I think that ADSL 2+ is being trialled now but even when it's released I don't expect I will be able to take advantage of it as I am under the impression that you need to be within 1.5 km of the exchange and as I live around 3km away this means I am out of luck.

Any comments anyone?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:42 14 Aug 2005

You need to be within around 1.5KM of the exchange to get the best speed from ADSL2+. It is supposed to have greater range than the existing ADSL standard though so you should still see a big increase in speed. I'm looking forward to it as I live less than 600M from the local exchange.

LastChip 21:55 14 Aug 2005

At the moment, I have a 512K service which has been promised to be upgraded to 1M free of charge.

Currently, I can download pages from almost anywhere in the world almost instantly. Presumably, this 1M service - if it ever comes :-( will be quicker. For me to upgrade to Cable means the upheaval of having an optical service connected and an increase in the monthly rent of around 50%.

What advantage am I going to get from that?

I'm not into streaming video or anything like that, so I think it's just a precursor to capture you into buying on-line streaming services. In other words, it's a sprat to catch a mackerel. But unless I can see distinct advantages, this little fish 'aint biting!

pj123 12:53 15 Aug 2005

I am on cable BB at 2mb with NTL. My download speed varies quite a lot, (I suppose it depends on the time of day, or night, and the amount of people on the net at any one time).

It is usually around 75-80mbps but recently it has been as high as 256mbps and has also gone as low as 28mbps.

So, whether you are on 1mb, 2mb or 10mb I don't think you can rely on any speed being constant.

I am quite happy at 2mb considering it was upped from 600k at no extra cost.

CurlyWhirly 16:13 15 Aug 2005

Mr Mistoffelees - 600 metres from the local exchange. You lucky person!
Whether *I* will be able to get a faster speed of service than my present 1mb using ADSL 2+ remains to be seen!
I sincerely hope so.

LastChip - I *am* interested in streaming videos and music so it looks like I will have to do without these services :0(

pj123 - Yes I think I would be happy with 2mb as well (if I could get it)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie