How about a 'worliday'?

Forum Editor 19:24 15 Aug 2011

A worliday is - according to Lucy Kellaway - a bit like holiday and a bit like work. It's the future for most professional workers - and actually, contrary to what most people would have you believe, worliday is really rather nice.

What do you think - is this how you would like to spend your time, if you could?

canarieslover 19:51 15 Aug 2011

When I go on holiday, which is much more frequently since I retired, I like to get away from everything and almost everybody. I reluctantly carry a mobile phone which I only switch on at certain times of an evening so that I can be contacted if absolutely necessary and I have finally succumbed to my sons insistence that I should have a netbook, but I only take that so that we can watch some films if we really get bored of an evening. As for working while I am away, heaven forbid. Whilst when I was employed I put my heart and soul into the work I always tried not to take it home with me as I consider time away from work as family time. The article could only have been conceived by someone without children and a partner who were really important to them.

woodchip 19:59 15 Aug 2011

canarieslover fully agree with your comments above, don't think i could have said it better.

PS but when you work for your self its hard to carry it out. Well that's what I found when I was working. It was like trying to fit a 8day into a 7day week

onionskin 20:48 15 Aug 2011
  Mr Mistoffelees 23:24 15 Aug 2011

For me a holiday is a complete break and that's the way I like it.

Aitchbee 23:51 15 Aug 2011

That's what they did on http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/pet/ and the actors on it too!

Condom 00:51 16 Aug 2011

Another daft idea.

morddwyd 08:23 16 Aug 2011

She's a writer.

Writers have been doing this for years, and is seems to have taken her a long time to wake up to the idea!

I know you're a freelance, FE. Do you actually have an office, either ar PCA or elsewhere, or is all your work done from home, airport lounges or hotel bedrooms (or clients' premises, obviously)?

wee eddie 14:43 16 Aug 2011

Look ~ Most of you get get about 100 hours off, each week. What more do you want?

Forum Editor 18:21 16 Aug 2011

morddwyd

I work from an office at a secret location somewhere in England, and I have a home office. Most of my 'other life' work is indeed done in airport lounges, hotel bedrooms, and clients' premises.

You get used to it, and modern technology makes it easy to create your office pretty well anywhere. I can't be the only one who checks his email on a Blackberry whilst standing up to his waist in the hotel pool, surely?

I once saw a man - he turned out to be a Russian - standing waist deep in the South China sea at the back of a hotel for half an hour every morning for a week. He had his mobile phone glued to his ear all that time, and a conversation with his young, blonde, gold bedecked companion elicited the information that he was "doing his business". She said - in delightfully halting English - that he ran a property development company back home in Moscow, and he couldn't start his day without haranguing his site foreman about the previous day's lack of progress. It made me feel quite saintly, me and my ten-minute email session over the breakfast table.

wee eddie 20:52 16 Aug 2011

Here you have two extremes of the Executive Work Ethic.

FE has his Russian Oligarch who, in order to bolster his ego, berates a member of his Staff, back home.

And in the City, Japan or London, take your pick, people who will leave a jacket over the back of their Chair, to prove that they're there.

Whilst I cannot but admire the lifestyle of the Oligarch, he and his brothers created the second example. "Presantism".

I've been out of the City and the world of the High Flyer for 4 decades now and I'm glad. I really wasn't up-to it.

I have always admired FE's multi-tasking lifestyle, he appears to juggle a Portfolio of Clients from the back of his Filofax ~~~ Does he still have one, with consummate ease. Much of which must be enabled by the ability to relax when not required. Something that many of us, lesser mortals, are unable to do.

I turned down an offer to Franchise my Restaurant, with the first Branch to be in Chicago, because I knew that I would be driven dolally by complexity of attempting to run more than one operation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?