Housing on flood plains...

Quickbeam 08:56 10 Oct 2007

click here This looks to be a definite no, no. Insurers are not going to keep on footing the bill for much longer.

From what I've seen this year, I would certainly be looking at the lie of the land regarding water courses on any house purchase. Any claims of a 'once in a hundred years' flooding is becoming an unacceptable risk.

Quickbeam 09:01 10 Oct 2007

And here click here they might change the main headline.

spuds 10:25 10 Oct 2007

The insurance industry is all about risk, hence the constant increase in premiums. But a slight disaster like the Lloyds incident a few years ago, and insurance then becomes a government and public problem and responsibility.

Not all planning records show what a house or any other property is or was built on, and the owner may have no knowledge of previous events.

A case of example in the city location that I live in. Fairly new estate (10/15 years)began to have very bad 'gassy' smells, which was put down to poor sewer and drainage problems. Eventually after extensive and expensive tests, the problem was methane and similar gases rising from an old rubbish and landfill tip. Monitoring and ventilation equipment was installed, and the council now keep regular checks on the situation. The next cause of action if things turn for the worse, is demolishing of the properties at the owners expense. Insurance cover in the area is now 'restricted'.

JanetO 12:03 10 Oct 2007

I can't understand why property developers here can't build their houses higher to avoid the risk of flooding, like they do in Thailand and places that have a high risk of flooding.

DrScott 12:33 10 Oct 2007

seems like an inherently bad idea to me. Is the risk also not increased by the presence of houses since it raises the water table or something?

deletebeepbeep 14:12 10 Oct 2007

DrScott

An impermeable surface will increase the risk to flooding. The Environment Agency would comment on any application in a medium (Zone 2 - between 1 in a 100 to 1 in 1000 chance) to high risk (Zone 3 (1 in 100 or greater chance) flood area and require a flood risk assesment to be carried out. (Appendix D of PPS25)

Janet0

It has been done in this country. For instance, we have just gained planning permission for 18 dwellings at Smith's Yard in Shoreham. The dwellings had 'garden rooms' and garages at ground floor level. The only habitable rooms were at first and second floor level.

octal 14:42 10 Oct 2007

Go to the Environment Agency web site click here and put your post code in on the right hand side, you'll be surprised at what it returns, you can bet insurers look at this site very carefully.

Quickbeam 08:41 11 Oct 2007

That's interesting, according to the extreme flood possibility line, flooding would get to within a hundred yards of my house. However, if that was the case, the Town Hall would be under to the rooftops and several Gothic Churches upto the spire bases.

I think maybe they're thinking ahead to the great melt of the polar ice caps if we don't start using these nu' fangled lightbulbs;)

bof:) 10:36 11 Oct 2007

I've just put my postcode in and it appears that most of the industrial estate nearby along with a good portion of the town would be under water.

What annoys me is, what happens to all the insurance monies paid in each year there are not any floods?

Whilst I understand that shareholders and running cost will eat into this surely whats left should be put in some sort of 'money chest' in preparation for the day a flood happens?

Mike

Monoux 12:07 11 Oct 2007

bof:)-- If the money was put away for a rainy day ( no pun intended ) no doubt Brown & co would find way of getting the governments hands on it ( think pension funds here ) s thjere would be not much left when it was really needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017