Households Charged by amount of Rubbish

Confab 20:14 30 Oct 2007

Households are to be charged according to the amount of rubbish they throw out.

click here

Woohoo - That means free rubbish collections for me but probably a bit moreexpensive for my neighbours (-;

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 30 Oct 2007

The more people in a house, the more you pay for rubbish removal...seems blindingly obvious to me. Of course it would be even better if you got 'credits' for the amount of recycling that each household does but but this would be virtually unworkable.

paul€ 20:37 30 Oct 2007

I won't need to put my bin out.:)))

justme 20:46 30 Oct 2007

I think that the councils need to consider this carefully. Since they are charging for a service the government (or EEC) will charge VAT on the money taken in and also may later start charging the council taxes on the profits of the business.

This could very well be yet another stealth tax in the making.

Noldi 20:51 30 Oct 2007

"The more people in a house, the more you pay for rubbish removal..."

Not if you recycle more.
It will be the honest people that will pay. It will be the same as if you have a builders skip outside your house, wake up in the morning and find half the streets rubbish in your skip.

Noldi

Bingalau 20:54 30 Oct 2007

I'm all for recycling but. Are they going to reduce our rates if we reduce the amount of rubbish? I think it could also lead to people like me unpacking all the packing as I exit the supermarkets.

45 Mart 21:47 30 Oct 2007

My grass cuttings bin and glass recycle box and metal recycle box and paper recycle bag all together, always weigh more than my rubbish bin, so surely the council should be paying me.

As to the rubbish bin, I already pay for this to be emptied as it states it in my council tax bill, so hope they aren't going to charge me twice.

Also hope that the council are going to provide me with a security guard for my bin as I have seen people throwing their own rubbish into other peoples bins, because theirs are full and our council refuse to take extra bin bags.

paul€ 21:54 30 Oct 2007

" My grass cuttings bin and glass recycle box and metal recycle box and paper recycle bag all together, always weigh more than my rubbish bin "

We have all those plus a container for cardboard, one for clothes and shoes and yet another for plastics.

Hardly anything from our main refuse bin goes to landfill.

45 Mart 21:58 30 Oct 2007

We don't have a cardboard or a fabrics one yet.

Before long, I think I will need a bigger drive. Won't be long befre we are a 12 bin family.

Hope we don't get a pink one...............

€dstowe 22:03 30 Oct 2007

I can just see Britain disappearing under a heap of rubbish indiscriminately dumped by non-caring residents anywhere they like just to avoid this charge.

mrwoowoo 22:11 30 Oct 2007

All our recycleable rubbish goes into one bin,exept for glass.
So how do they seperate the paper,plastic and tins for recycling,is this possible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017