House Values

pj123 17:23 12 Jun 2008

I have lived in my current house for the last 18 years. I don't want to sell it but I thought it might be a good idea to, at least, find its current value.

I tried an internet site which valued it at £123,000, I paid £57,000 when I bought it.

I asked my neighbour across the road if he knew the value of his house, and he said no. I entered his details into the same internet site and it came up with £187,000.

Now my house is semi detached with a driveway and a garage. My neighbours house is a terraced property with no garage or parking, except on the road.

That's a £64,000 difference for a house that is only about 30 yards away from the other one.

Forum Editor 17:28 12 Jun 2008

usually have a back-end database of the prices other houses in your postcode area sold for. Is your neighbour in the same postcode as you?

anskyber 17:30 12 Jun 2008

This site is reliable because it goes to individual properties actual selling price from the Land Registry. click here

spuds 18:14 12 Jun 2008

Ask your neighbour about their home insurance, perhaps thats different, because it comes from a more select area :O)

Te same might also apply to other insurances.

pj123 18:16 12 Jun 2008

FE, yes he is just across the road.

We are a very small road and all the houses are in the same postcode.

anskyber, thanks will check it out.

pj123 18:19 12 Jun 2008

FE, yes he is just across the road.

We are a very small road and all the houses are in the same postcode.

anskyber, thanks will check it out.

spuds 18:32 12 Jun 2008

Just tried your link and its left me slightly confused. Put in my postcode and it came up with 4 properties (my neighbours plus my own). My own property was actually highlighted, with an individual price, which appears to be not far of the going rate. All of the properties are 'like for like' in design and build, yet the average prices for each seems to differ slightly.Just as a curiosity, would you have a possible explanation on how this website and information supplied works.

Confab 18:51 12 Jun 2008

This one has actual sale prices and dates

click here

Woolwell 19:24 12 Jun 2008

I use click here but you have to register to get the actual sale prices. However all sale prices are historical and do not necessarily indicate what you would get now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 12 Jun 2008

...and this site click here will show you the reductions in your area..something estate agents used to be very reluctant to mention.

G

The Brigadier 20:49 12 Jun 2008

I got told recently i could get 2 million for the farm, but mostly as we have over 50 acres.
Farm house not worth more that £500k
But with about 25 having good road frontage the land is worth more!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?