House Radiator Thermastat Question

babybell 21:38 30 Nov 2010

This might be a bit long winded but I've been left scratching my head about a problem with our bedroom radiator and was wondering if anyone could answer my question.

The radiator wasn't heating up, so I was told to remove the thermastat and press the little metal button down on the valve using a pair of pliers and bingo, the radiator began to heat up.

Upon closer inspection of the thermastat, there is a little black plunger in the middle. I spun the temperature control round and this plunger didn't move. I removed and looked at a thermastat on another radiator that DOES work, and noticed that the plunger moves up and down when you select the temperature you want. So I've ordered a new thermastat and this should solve the problem......but this isn't whats puzzling me.

The puzzling thing is, when playing around with the working thermastat, I noticed that when I select a low temperature on the thermastat, the plunger is sticking out, but when I select a hot temperature, the plunger moves back inside the thermastat? I would have thought that if the metal button on the valve needs to be pushed in to let hot water in the radiator, then a hotter setting would push the plunger OUT of the thermastat and down onto the valve?

This probably makes no sense, but here's hoping!

peter99co 21:41 30 Nov 2010

It would depend which side the valve seat was on. Upside or downside?

Forum Editor 21:54 30 Nov 2010

in a clockwise direction a smallish pin on the valve head is pushed in a downward direction, reducing the flow through the valve.

Turn the head anti-clockwise and a spring in the valve pushes the pin back up, increasing the flow, and thus the heat exchanged into the room.

There's a small rubber cone on the other end of the pin, and this closes onto the valve seat, cutting off the flow. When you set the valve head at a chosen setting a heat sensor in the head expands and contracts depending on the room temperature, and this causes the spindle to be depressed or raised automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?