House and Contents ins. Research age of my proper

  Ex plorer 16:10 26 Nov 2007

Hi I am trying to fill out House and Contents insurance forms on line, when I answer the question to the age of my house most insurers stop the questionnaire, I think it is pre 1800 and its not listed nothing special just an End Terrace Cottage.
I have my deeds and bill of sale but there is no dates to be found as to when it was built I have one reasonable quote which I hope to go along with but I will have to speak to them as my house is 20 years + older than they stipulate.
My previous insure is way out of my price.
So how can I research the age of my property.

  Woolwell 16:26 26 Nov 2007

Do you have the original handwritten deeds/conveyance? These will have a date on them when the site was purchased.

  wiz-king 16:42 26 Nov 2007

You should have the date of the first owners purchase on the deeds or the Land Register docs, the land registry have a online search but it costs £6 click here Often the first transfer is from builder to first owner.

  Ex plorer 16:49 26 Nov 2007

Good point, but no they are all typed out there are two other cottages adjoining mine and I have with my deeds information on all of them as they were bought by the same man as well as my cottage the rent 35years ago for them was 2 shillings and six pence a month my Gran had one and the conditios were you did your own repairs.
That was very cheap then.
I will try and find old maps and see if my house is on them.
Open to any suggestions.

  Woolwell 17:10 26 Nov 2007

It could be that the man bought the cottages from an estate or large farm holding. The deeds that you have should show who he bought them from and when. It may not show when they were built.

  Totally-braindead 17:59 26 Nov 2007

Just a thought but you mention 2 cottages adjoining yours. Have you asked your neigbours about this and indeed who they are with, perhaps they have a cheaper quote?
They might not tell you about their insurance and might think its a bit cheeky of you to ask but I see no harm in explaining your problem and asking them if they know when the place was built. That is not cheeky or nosy its only asking if they know.

  laurie53 20:05 26 Nov 2007

I had no idea insurers refused to insure older houses.

One wonders where they draw the line.

I seem to remember HM made a claim on Windsor castle a few years back.

  bluto1 21:57 26 Nov 2007

Type Land Register into Google and hit search. You'll be able to at least search for a telephone number to speak to someone who can tell you firstly if the property is registered and if it is then the age of it. Thats what I did a few years ago for my Brother-in-Law, for the same reason as you.

  jakimo 02:20 27 Nov 2007

Its common practice for the conveyancing solicitor of the properties to keep the full original deeds,of which you may just have a part,its also possible that your house may never have been registered with the land registry

  Ex plorer 13:44 27 Nov 2007

Hi thanks for all the input and ideas, I also noticed that if your house was listed most of the insures would not let you continue to fill in the form? there are so many listed these days and many in my village it makes me wounder if you had better check on this before purchasing such properties.
I will get back to how I find out for other people to refer to.

  gardener 15:14 27 Nov 2007

My house is also pre-1800 and I've recently attempted to get an online quote using numerous sites (actually most of them seem to be suspiciously alike in layout). The only insurance co. that gave me an online quote was Churchill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017