Hotmail accounts leaked

birdface 17:33 05 Oct 2009

A bit worrying if you have a Hotmail Account maybe safer changing your e-mai address.

click here

OTT_Buzzard 17:43 05 Oct 2009

my password and security questions, but if anyone has already been into the account then they've had access to login for pretty well every site that i've ever registered with. Inevitably this includes shopping sites that store debit card details.

Even more unfortunately, my name begins with the letter 'A'.

Lots more passwords to change....

Forum Editor 17:45 05 Oct 2009

if your name begins with A or B, and you have a Windows Live Hotmail account with an email address ending in hotmail.com, msn.com or live.com.

birdface 18:11 05 Oct 2009

They have only leaked the A-B Accounts the problem is do they have the rest.

OTT_Buzzard 18:21 05 Oct 2009

I'd like to know how the passwords were gathered. The article appear a little vague on it.

I fall into the category of 'a bit worrying', but am not about to change bank account over it.

10000 hotmail / msn / live email addresses with names beginning with A or B - that can only be a tiny percentage of the overall.

birdface 19:13 05 Oct 2009

More from here.

click here

gazmix 11:42 06 Oct 2009

how do you know if its been hacked, would i have had to fill a fraudulent form in?, requesting passwords etc?

ened 11:46 06 Oct 2009

it only applies to people who have logged on to the fake 'Hotmail' page.

That was how I read it anyway. I have not so I am not worried.

OTT_Buzzard 11:51 06 Oct 2009

"it only applies to people who have logged on to the fake 'Hotmail' page"

There are no real details. Phishing scams regularly involve setting up a fake page from a well known company, then sending out emails to users to click on a link, go to the fake page and 'log in'.

The fake page could be from any company - banks are a favourite target. Companies like Amazon have also been targetted in the past.

Anyway, it looks like it's more than just Microsoft issued email addresses posted. That shouldn't come as any major suprise to anyone.

click here

gazmix 12:12 06 Oct 2009

i guess its only if you've been stupid enough to give your details as that is what phishing is isn't it?, if you haven't, your ok?

OTT_Buzzard 12:23 06 Oct 2009

How would you know either way?
For all anyone knows it could have been done through DNS malware. Err on the side of caution. Change your passwords.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone