A host of golden daffodils

Quickbeam 08:54 27 Jan 2009

an' a' that...

How long do you reckon daffodil should last? This year looks like being a poor display and tail end of some bulbs (200) I bought 3 years ago. For some time I've noticed that perennial plants don't seem to last as long as they used to.

Are the nurseries breeding short life bulbs to ensure future business, or is it paranoia of a the lost halcyon days of when everything came out roses?

mobileman1953 09:00 27 Jan 2009

daffodils dont normally flower till march to may some advice here click here

Quickbeam 09:05 27 Jan 2009

Yes, but the shoots are up 2 to 3" which is normal, but not many look like coming through.

One thing I didn't know from your link,
"There is literally no difference between Daffodils and Narcissus. The two words are synonymous. Narcissus is the Latin or botanical name for the commonly called daffodils. Daffodil is the common name for all members of the genus Narcissus."
My Mum was always quite adamant that they were two similar plants.

Stuartli 09:29 27 Jan 2009

We have excellent, long last shows of daffodils and tulips every year - the former are coming through strongly at the moment in both the garden and flower pots.

Another brilliant annual display is that of poppies; the other half sows the seeds randomly the previous year to create a poppy "field".

€dstowe 13:34 27 Jan 2009

It's not the daffodils that have changed but the way people treat them. In the cause of garden tidiness, the plants are tied up, chopped down, mown over (in lawns) long before the plant has had time to prepare itself properly to develop next year's embryonic plant, gain sufficient food reserves shut itself down for dormancy during the summer months.

There is an orchard down the road from my house that is smothered in daffodils during the spring. These increase in numbers every year so much so that the farmer who owns the land now culls the bulbs in early summer (when they've naturally died down) dries them off and sells them.

Forum Editor 17:59 27 Jan 2009

Absolutely right - I have a 'wild' section of my garden where I leave the daffodils to do their own thing - the leaves just get left to wither naturally, and once they have we mow over them.

Each year we seem to get more and more flowers, even though the squirrels and foxes help themselves to a few bulbs each autumn/winter.

laurie53 20:55 27 Jan 2009

"There is literally no difference between Daffodils and Narcissus"

I was always brought up to believe that one bloom to a stem is a daffodil, several blooms to a stem is a narcissus.

There is also another type, very fragrant, called a jonquil, which I haven't seen in years.

€dstowe 21:47 27 Jan 2009

I bought jonquils from Thompson & Morgan a few years ago. They don't seem to have them now but, probably the wrong time of year to have them for sale.

BTW, the are still going strong and multiplying as they should after several seasons growth just by being left alone.

laurie53 07:49 28 Jan 2009

I am well aware of the taxonomy of daffodils, which in any event had already been clarified by Quickbeam.

I was simply referring to the everyday names in familiar use, just as we refer to primroses and polyanthus rather than the genus primula.

Forum Editor 17:58 28 Jan 2009

He (fourm member) is right about common plant names.

laurie53 20:02 28 Jan 2009

"Trying to define plants by their common name will not work."

I am not trying to define plants by their common, or any other, names.

I was simply saying what I, we, called some very familiar flowers when we were children.

My parents were obviously very remiss in not introducing me to Linnaeus at a very early age.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?