Hospital Health Risks!!!

Pine Man 14:22 04 May 2009

Before writing this I have satisfied myself that no libel law has been infringed. It is fact, has not been embellished and, if requested, I will reveal my identity to the hospital, although as I have to return at a later date I'd rather not;-)

Poor old Pine Man was admitted to Queen Alexanders Hospital, Cosham, Hampshire recently for a short period and is now at home making a spectacular recovery:-))

It's boring in hospital and you can't help filling the time by watching all that goes on and in a 12 hour period here is what I saw:-

On the end of every bed there was some disinfectant hand cleaner and I could easily see three beds from where I lay and at no time did I see anybody at all use any of them. Not even the nurses that were changing drips in my arm and in other patients arms.

When the drugs trolley came round the little plastic cups that the tablets were put in for patients were reused for other patients pills and the nurse that was doing the dispensing coughed into here hand a couple of times before using that hand to dispense pills. When she sneezed into here hand my heart stopped but she actually washed it on that occasion!

The cleaning staff were amazing. Lots of them looking really busy but achieving roughly two-fifths of sweet FA! The floor was mopped but nothing was moved other than the tables. Not even my shoes were moved but cleaned around. When I looked under the bed around the wheels etc there was filth. My top prize goes to the cleaner that was cleaning my bed table with a cloth soaked in something who lifted up my glass of water with the cloth so she could clean underneath it. Everywhere they went they missed great swathes of floor and surfaces.

The nurses and doctors gave me great service and attention and the food wasn't bad but I just couldn't wait to get out!

jack 14:50 04 May 2009

To Nursing staff to do the cleaning, wearing starched white, on parade each shift with a large matron figure[Hattie Jacques?] inspecting hands etc.

Today's problem is that Ward staff are seen a 'technocrats' who push button, push out pills and fill in reports.

Cleaners work is seldom inspected [perhaps because unions are involved and one union does not tell the member of another what to do]- and because largely they are from the immigrant community do what they have been instructed- without a full comprehension of why they are doing it.

You are quite right to communicate your disquiet
to the Hospital management.

Clapton is God 15:09 04 May 2009

Thanks for this. You've made me feel so much more confident in the NHS (not).

Unfortunately, Clapton is God is also due to be admitted to an NHS hospital, as an in-patient, in a month's time to have certain sections of his anatomy sliced open and fiddled with.

Will I survive the experience? Will I live to tell the tale?

Watch this space ....

If I fail to post at PCA after 11 June, you'll know why. ;-))

Fortunately, I'm due to see Mr Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall on 20 May, so at least I'll die happy.

Pine Man 15:30 04 May 2009

Jack - I'm sure you are right. Before I left I was given some tablets to take by a nurse who passed me the glass that had been picked up by a cleaner with her cleaning cloth. I explained why I would like a clean one and she got it - but did she take the matter further - I doubt it.

Clapton is God - Hope I haven't set the alarm bells ringing too much. This was one ward in one hospital. I am sure there are many much better but, unfortunately, maybe some even worse:-(
I hope your 'slicing' goes to plan and you experience a similar spectacular recovery to mine.

This was the first time I have been admitted to a hospital in 45 years and apart from my concerns I did find it quite interesting in a morbid sort of way.

Spark6 15:34 04 May 2009

I must admit to being apprehensive, re the possible admission to hospital, when I have read some of the reports on hospital conditions.

Last August however, I was in the Coronary Care Unit in Southmead Hospital, Bristol for a week and the treatment and conditions were first class.

Cymro. 15:34 04 May 2009

Tales of this sort about the NHS are all too common. But what is the answer?

There are some hospitals with a very low rate of infection while others have a very high rate of infection. Surely someone could figure out what the low rate of infection hospitals are doing right and see to it that the poor performing hospitals learn something from them.

Jack`s suggestion above about returning to some of the old ways of doing things in the health service has a lot to commend it. Although I don`t quite see what he means when he says
"and because largely they are from the immigrant community do what they have been instructed- without a full comprehension of why they are doing it"

There are probably many reasons why there are hospital acquired infections. I would suggest one reason as being that staff travel to work in their supposedly clean uniforms that they have worn in the car they travel to work in that is very far from clean. Who can tell who or what was on the car seat before the nurse sat in it.

Pine Man 15:58 04 May 2009

In fairness none of the cleaners were from this group in fact those of you who know this part of Hampshire will have heard the phrase 'Pompey Tarts' I say no more!

Some of the cleaners conversations were hilarious:-

Cleaner 1 "Are you using ordinary or lint cloths on your mop mate?"

Cleaner 2 "No I ain't bin trained on lint yet. Gotta go on a course".

john bunyan 16:09 04 May 2009

My granddaughter was in QA Cosham for a ruptured appendix - I saw all the things you observed. My wife was in the intensive care unit at Haslar Gosport (was then run by the services) a few years ago and even there contracted MRSA and Septicaemia in the intensive care unit. When I asked the top ICU consultant when she would be sae, he replied "Not until you are outside the hospital at the bus stop - hospitals are full of ill, infective people and it's safer outside!!" At an outpatients clinic she had to remind another consultant to wash his hands before and after touching her wound!

Cymro. 17:00 04 May 2009

Regarding what you were told
"Not until you are outside the hospital at the bus stop - hospitals are full of ill, infective people and it's safer outside!!"

Well I suppose there was some truth in what you were told, hospitals are indeed such places. Perhaps with patients being discharged very much quicker these days it will help to bring about an improvement in infection rates.

If ever you are offered day surgery rather than being an in patient then take the day patient option.

wiz-king 17:53 04 May 2009

You have better watch BBC4 @ 9.00 PM tonight as a pre-med to make you feel all woozy.

Clapton is God 18:09 04 May 2009

I can assure you that it's already on the 'must watch' list (followed by the programme immediately after at 10 pm)!

Tonight's pre-med might take the form of something of an alcoholic nature not normally prescribed in hospitals. ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?