Horses - are they a danger?

Colin 16:22 25 Aug 2006

In a similar vein to "Cyclists - are they a danger!",
I feel the same way about horses being rode on a public road. I always slow down for them as I have no wish to frighten the horse, but the riders can be the most arrogant people I have ever come across. Waving their crops as if they have an absolute right to do so. There was a debate about this in my local paper and the horse riders' response was to say that they have nowhere else to ride. Tough! And what about the loveley manure they leave behind? It's illegal for dog owners to let their dogs foul the highway bit it doesn't seen to apply to horse riders.

ade.h 16:31 25 Aug 2006

Horse-sized poop-a-scoops will be installed at the side of all rural roads just for you, Colin! ;o)

Seriously though; you'd have to check the bylaws and the Highway Code, but I believe that they do have a right to be there, even though a minority of them - and it is a small minority IME - might act a bit like they own the road. They are probably just a bit touchy about all the dimwits who drive straight past at almost unabated speed.

knockin on 16:33 25 Aug 2006

I suppose there is a difference between riding in towns or cities (do people do that) and in the country. There is not a lot of sense in owning a horse if it can only be exercised on the public roads. I live in the New forest, so horses on the roads are the norm. We locals can live with it, used to it I guess. Visitors seem to get impatient occasionally, but in general, people are pretty tolerant. Most riders I see wave the crop or tip the hat to acknowledge your consideration as you pass (slow and wide).

Forum Editor 16:40 25 Aug 2006

just as much right as you, in fact, and of course at one time there were horses but no cars.

I imagine that most riders would prefer not to have to use the roads, and I'm sure that goes for the horses, too. There are times when roads have to used though, and then the horse's interests should come first - it's an animal, gets nervous around cars, and needs to be given a wide berth.

johndere 16:51 25 Aug 2006

In & around near me in Somerset they all behave in a decent manner, all seem to wear his-vis clothing, the rider that is.

Colin 16:56 25 Aug 2006

I'm used to it, too, and I would never deliberately frighten the horses - I slow down and give them as wide a berth as possible. It's not the horse's fault and they are beautiful animals. It's the riders I sometimes despair of, though. A lot of the horses around here seem to be ridden by what appear to me to be very young people who have trouble controlling the horse.

anskyber 16:58 25 Aug 2006

Shall we add to the list? How about pedestrians, tractors, caravans, HGVs, drivers of the opposite gender and many many more.

The plain fact is that the roads (other than motorways and certain special restricted roads) are there for the public who wish to travel along them by whatever mode they choose. (subject to the laws of the road) Regrettably we live in a very impatient world where some people seem to think that the whole of the transport infrastructure was provided for their sole use.

Maybe its me being impatient myself (OK I hold my hand up!) but we seem to be littered with threads on slow cars, fast cars, 4x4s and the like. OK, I know, I do not have to read them....

Bingalau 16:59 25 Aug 2006

As FE has already mentioned, horses were using the roads long before cars and as I see it, are just as entitled to do so. They should be given a wide berth and overtaken very slowly (this also applies to pushbikes and motor cycles) Also like to mention that I have never seen an arrogant rider on a horse, but by God I've seen some in cars. ..Bingalau..

Forum Editor 17:20 25 Aug 2006

It's yet another manifestation of the "Me first" society - nobody has any time for other people on the roads. Everyone's in such a rush to get where they're going.....and then in a rush to get back again.

anskyber 17:25 25 Aug 2006

Exactly.

spuds 17:41 25 Aug 2006

Being a one time horse owner, I would state that it is not the horse that is the danger, but in a number of cases the person responsible for the horse is the danger.

Personally I would approve of a testing and licensing system for horse riders who use public roads.This same opinion would also apply to cyclists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?