Honours List

Bingalau 18:42 30 Dec 2007

Interesting article...

click here

CatTrading 18:44 30 Dec 2007

My Father was on it!

Well OK someone with the same name & area he lives in.

Earthsea 19:02 30 Dec 2007

I remember using the BBC model B and it was a wonderful machine. The first time I ever used it was at Preston Polytechnic and played Elite on it - completely blew me away. BBC BASIC was also a joy to use.

Still think the honours system should be ditched, though.

Bingalau 19:19 30 Dec 2007

Earthsea. I have looked through to see if my name was on it and as usual it isn't. I think if I was offered anything I would take great delight in refusing. As you say it is about time it was scrapped.

Al94 19:23 30 Dec 2007

The chap who owned the car I just bought got one. Nearest I'll ever get!

lotvic 21:36 30 Dec 2007

My mum was awarded the M.B.E. 3 years ago, it was well deserved recognition for charitable services to the community.

laurie53 09:18 31 Dec 2007

Not really interested, but you can't avoid it in our class ridden society.

It seems to come earlier and earlier. At one time it was announced on New Year's Day (or the Queen's Official Birthday, as appropriate). Then it became New Year's Eve, presumably so that the hard copy press could compete with electronic news. This year it was even earlier.

Perhaps it will end up like PCA, coming out three months in advance!

Chegs ®™ 14:19 01 Jan 2008

I dont care who gets an honour,but I'm struggling to get my head around Kylie Minogue.She isnt british either & I've always assumed it was an english thing.

Forum Editor 16:40 01 Jan 2008

"I've always assumed it was an english thing"

No, it's a Commonwealth thing.

Forum Editor 16:43 01 Jan 2008

"you can't avoid it in our class ridden society."

Avoid what?

Our society is less class-ridden now than at any time in the past, and plenty of so-called working class people receive honours. You don't know about them because they aren't famous, that's all.

laurie53 18:34 01 Jan 2008

Avoid the New Year Honours List.

It is widely publicised in the press and on tv and radio.

We are one of the few countries to have such a thing, and one of the few countries to set great store by it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?