Honouring our war dead

haresear 12:06 13 Apr 2008

Just read the Mail on Sunday article on the difference between Canada and this country. In Canada they stop traffic , turn out the emergency services as "honour guard" , stand silent in respect and provide police outriders.
Over here - go on -have a guess.
While I may not agree with Afghanistan or Iraq I do think that we should be showing these lads and lassies this level of respect.
The big question is "How do we get our ineffectual,mealy mouthed ,self obsessed politicians to take the lead in this?"
Any ideas from this august and emminently sensible forum?

Quickbeam 12:12 13 Apr 2008

They've only recently stopped servicemen in Peterborough wearing their uniforms in public.

Jim Thing 12:36 13 Apr 2008
  techie4me 12:45 13 Apr 2008

Sadly the goverment would not allow this as it may abuse the rights of the multi-cultral society that the UK is now and of course we dont want to upset any of them. Even though some plot to blow us up!!

I do remember after the Falklands that Commandos marched through the streets lined with flag waving children & adults, sadly it seems it's now a thing of the past

johndrew 13:15 13 Apr 2008

I think the only similar (on a much smaller scale) respect paid is at Wooton Bassett when coffins arrive at Lyneham. There the mayor and a few others pay their respects as the hearses go through the town.

Having said that, with all the operations our forces have been involved in over the years since 1945 there doesn`t seem to have been a huge amount of interest from the public at large.

Slightly different, but when I was a kid, I remember people stopping on the street, men removing their hats and policemen saluting when any funeral procession went by. We seem to have lost something in our society.

Jim Thing 14:09 13 Apr 2008

"I remember people stopping on the street, men removing their hats and policemen saluting when any funeral procession went by."

When I joined the RN I remember being told by our drill instructor that funeral cortèges were to be saluted, but I don't know whether that was a regulation or a bit of his own initiative — he was a kindly bloke.

Bingalau 18:39 13 Apr 2008

Jim Thing. I'm pretty certain it was a regulation, because we were also told the same thing. whether it has changed in the meanwhile I don't know. Anybody got a copy of QR's and AI's or whatever they were called?

Earthsea 19:27 13 Apr 2008

every year, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Britain isn't Canada, and we do things differently. It's not our way to make a song and dance about everything.

haresear 19:41 13 Apr 2008

Think back to the completely OTT reaction to Di's demise - if she deserved that surely our armed forces deserve the respect that the Canadians show.
There was a time -not too long ago - that every funeral procession was treated with solemn respect by both drivers and pedestrians .
Not any longer!

Jim Thing 20:46 13 Apr 2008

"It's not our way to make a song and dance about everything."

Some may consider that an unfortunate way to describe the respect shown to young people who died serving their country.

But respect is such an old-fashioned concept, is it not?

peter99co 21:14 13 Apr 2008

I think Australians remember their People very regularly don't they.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?