Honour Killings

DANZIG 23:20 09 Jan 2008

I'm watching BBC1, at the moment, a documentary about the so called 'honour' killing of a young lass.

The guy who did it is totally honest,albeit remorseful, about what he did.

The fact remains, he still did it!

Help!

Forum Editor 00:22 10 Jan 2008

'honour' and 'killing' are mutually exclusive in this context, and probably in almost any other context as well.

Taking it upon yourself to murder someone because he/she transgresses some arbitrary code of cultural conduct is a bizarre and barbaric act, and cannot possibly be justified, no matter what the circumstances.

Quickbeam 01:07 10 Jan 2008

is a more accurate description of this type of killing.

laurie53 07:45 10 Jan 2008

"Taking it upon yourself to murder someone because he/she transgresses some arbitrary code of cultural conduct is a bizarre and barbaric act,"

Even if the person concerned has gassed/killed thousands of Kurds, or Jews, or ethnic Albanians, or Tutus?

Quickbeam 07:56 10 Jan 2008

Yes, of course...

Quickbeam 08:07 10 Jan 2008

That analogy isn't quite the same...

To kill the potential bomber you are preventing a massacre.

To kill someone after an event, with the benefit of calculated vengeance is murder.

interzone55 09:13 10 Jan 2008

How is carrying a bomb into a party in any way similar to refusing an arranged marriage?

click here

interzone55 12:12 10 Jan 2008

I suppose the mindset is the same as the Victorians who locked unmarried mothers away in asylums.

This practice was still carried on until recently - my dad's sister was locked away in the 30's because she fell pregnant after being raped. She died in the asylum in 1990, she was never released, she was just lost in the system.
We only found out about this when my sister started tracing our family tree

Forum Editor 19:16 10 Jan 2008

There can never be a set of circumstances in which the murder of one person by another is justifiable on the grounds that the victim contravened a cultural code. Absolutely and categorically never.

Any culture which advocates - or even tolerates - such a practice may not call itself civilised. The problem, of course, is encapsulated in that sentence - you will find it very difficult indeed to persuade an uncivilised culture to accept that it's wrong to murder a daughter because she refuses to marry a man she's never met, one who has been selected for her by her parents for reasons she finds abhorrent.

I'm struggling to find the words to describe my distaste for the people who still persist in living by these standards in the 21st century.

Bingalau 19:54 10 Jan 2008

FE. Maybe it's because some of them are still living in the 19th century conditions or earlier.

Admiral Allstar 22:51 13 Jan 2008

by using the phrase honour killings we seem to make these a distinct issue to what is in essence plain old murder. the reason is irrelevant the fact is some poor girl has had her life taken simply because a culture states that she should marry someone not for love but for what it does for the family's standing. it is despicable and the perpetrators should be hung.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires