Honeymoon on self help

bluto1 23:30 06 Oct 2008

I wish I could show you the article in this mornings Daily Express, but I cannot.
A couple who were getting married were trying to raise cash for their honeymoon. Taking a couple of bin bags with them to the pub of an evening they'd forage around for recyclable bits and pieces and take them to a Tesco store which gave them a 1p point for every 4 items given to be recycled. For every £2.50 of points they converted they received 600 BA Airmiles and finally amassed 36,000 Air Miles.
They are to congratulated for their acumen and the fact that they saw an opportunity go begging in their area. Petersfield.

Si_L 23:45 06 Oct 2008

Haha that means they dug up 60000 bits of trash (if I've done my maths right).

Si_L 23:47 06 Oct 2008

click here

Link if your interested.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:30 07 Oct 2008

If they had got part-time jobs with Tesco and worked the hours that they spent scavenging, they would have earned much more money.

G

DANZIG 08:16 07 Oct 2008

Just seen that couple on BBC breakfast and, while I agree with Gandalf's statement to a degree, it appears the guy at least is already employed.

Also he mentioned that he felt that the carbon that they used by flying back from the states was offset by all the recycling they'd done.

Gotta admit though, it takes a fair bit of dedication to get out on the streets every night picking up other people's rubbish and chucking it in the back of the car.

She seemed peculiarly quiet though...

interzone55 08:44 07 Oct 2008

I had to laugh when the question about carbon emissions was raised, as if the plane wouldn't have flown if they hadn't got their free tickets.

Ridiculous, but good on them for cleaning the streets, perhaps their council might take the hint & employ someone to do it in future, they can pay them in club card points...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?