Home Grown Pepper Plants - Do I Give Them The Tomato Treatment?

Aitchbee 09:57 25 Jul 2011
Answered

Having just defrocked all of my tomato plants of their unnessessary foilage, do I do the same with my pepper plants. They come from the same same plant family.

bjh 10:49 25 Jul 2011

Interesting... old computer used my temporary log-in when forum was updated. But, even as bjh, I'd still agree with my earlier post : )

Ben

Aitchbee 11:00 25 Jul 2011

bjh - thanks for that - curiouser and curiouser my alter ego is hjb - honest. Henry J.

QuizMan 11:15 25 Jul 2011

I am growing peppers for the first time in my greenhouse. Nothing I have read in gardening books suggests removing the leaves (although I have also read that removing the first lot of flowers encourages greater yields later - won't be putting into practice though).

There is also a school of thought that considers removing leaves on tomatoes is counter-productive as the plants need photosynthesis to produce fruits. I tend to remove up to the first truss of fruit only and leave the rest.

Aitchbee 11:27 25 Jul 2011

Thanks Quizman - The weather has picked up a bit. I am getting a kick seeing those fruits ( or is it vegetables ) appear. Will heed your advice also.

flycatcher1 19:08 25 Jul 2011

I stopped growing peppers in my greenhouse because I thought that they encouraged white fly. Need not have bothered this year - not a sign of the little blighters. Maybe it is a benefit of Global Warming ?

morddwyd 20:23 25 Jul 2011

Get a reasonable crop of tomatoes, but never had much success with peppers, they tend to rot off while the fruits are still small (I assume you mean capsicums, sweet peppers - I can, and do, grow and harvest a really mean chilli pepper!).

Aitchbee 13:03 26 Jul 2011

Got 5 peppers plants...(4 bought from Lidl 3 months ago.. most bearing little peppers) and 1 Jalapeno (grown from a seed) still a tiddler but doing well. All are basking in the sun...most of my plants are south facing and are doing well ...except for 8 rose plants which have developed a white mould on the leaves...they have all flowered well though. All are in big pots. HB

Aitchbee 22:17 29 Jul 2011

Some of the 'pointy' peppers I am growing look big enough to eat now. The 'bell- shaped' ones are still marbled sized. Is it safe to try one of the bigger fruits or should I wait a wee bit longer. The weather in south west of Scotland is pretty good at moment.(mild and sunny)

Aitchbee 17:50 03 Aug 2011

Some of the leaves have holes, bitten off by insects but the peppers are looking good...especially the pointy ones.I just had a look...HB

QuizMan 23:17 03 Aug 2011
Answer

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am growing peppers for the first time and mine have no sign of flowers yet so picking is a long way off.

My understanding is that you can pick them at any time. Yours sound like hot peppers and will become sweeter and hotter if left until they change colour. If the crop is a reasonable one why not pick one to test now, but expect the others to improve over time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017