Holier than thou

bosmere 07:55 24 May 2006

Some contributors to these forums are getting very judgmental in their responses.

There are 2 or 3 threads currently running where responders have questioned the moral reasons behind a question.

Can't anyone now ask a question without having to reveal the colour of his/her knickers before getting a sensible answer?

Surely a simple question begs a simple answer; and if a question is not liked it can always be ignored without somebody preaching.

anskyber 08:57 24 May 2006

Which threads?

Sethhaniel 09:13 24 May 2006

hear hear
-
I noticed that - there are many ways to skin a cat and without the full reasoning who are they to judge ;)

Totally-braindead 10:22 24 May 2006

bosmere I know at least one of the threads you are refering to and noticed that the question he/she had asked had not been answered and the person who started the thread had ticked it as resolved without replying.
I agree with your feelings about this and I would have replied with the answer if I'd known it. But unfortunatly I didn't.

bremner 16:22 24 May 2006

This is nothing new and is simply human nature.

If it gets out of hand then the forum editor steps in.

We should just ignore those questioning the whys and wherefores and get on with answering the questions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 24 May 2006

There are certain rules on this forum, plus laws we have to obey in this country.

If you tell someone how to commit an offence then you are guilty of "Aiding and Abetting"

Forum Editor 18:01 24 May 2006

about things that are prohibited - such as using illegal software, downloading copyright-protected material etc.

Sometimes people ask how to circumvent passwords, or how to access protected files. We're not going to offer advice on how to gain access to computers with password protection because we have no way of knowing whether the person asking the question is authorised to access the material in question. Gaining access to someone else's computer, or to their files without their knowledge and/or consent may, in some circumstances be a criminal offence, and is certainly not something that we're going facilitate by telling people how to do it.

Occasionally we get threads that raise moral issues, and some people feel inclined to offer their opinions. That's life in a busy web forum, and if at times some people feel that a thread, or a post in a thread goes too far they are perfectly at liberty to bring it to my attention via email. There has to be a final arbiter in these cases, and in this forum that's me I'm afraid - you have no choice, you're stuck with me and my editorial decisions. If I spot something that in my opinion breaches a moral or legal code I'll deal with it.

bosmere 20:04 24 May 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and FE nothing to do with "using illegal software, downloading copyright-protected material etc." more like taking the moral highground instead of giving a straight answer to the question.

These comments would be better placed in a 'parenting class forum'.

Some examples (which taken out of their context don't sound quite so rude):

"it seems a bit mean to disallow your son full access - after all, he may need some intense info for his studies. Or do you suspect him of something nefarious??"

"Are you saying that you wish to prevent your son (who must be at least 17) from accessing the internet unless he seeks permission from you?"

"It is worth reminding ourselves that we were all young once and I would give an ample amount of latitude/freedom...."

Forum Editor 22:24 24 May 2006

that there are times when the moral high ground is a very useful place to be. Not everyone makes the right decisions about every aspect of their life, and just occasionally we see reflected here an attitude that is so obviously a little off-beam that it's almost impossible to avoid comment.

That isn't the same as being a 'parenting class forum' as you put it. It's a question of suggesting that there may just be another way of looking at a situation. If someone wants to act in a certain manner that's their affair, but if the same person publicises the fact in a public web forum he/she shouldn't be unduly surprised if other people pass comment. A straight answer to a question is something we might all like to have throughout our lives; unfortunately it's often not to be.

martjc 17:35 25 May 2006

...but now I tend to see you as the wise old sage. Good posting - very clear.

Bosmere: is it really worth bickering about? We all see things in slightly different ways. No insult was meant in my posting and no 'high ground' was claimed or attempted!

Lets forget it, eh! It's all in the past now and the thread author did not seem bothered.

Forum Editor 19:35 25 May 2006

Less of the "old" if you don't mind!

We should all agree that there are more than two ways of viewing most situations, and that nobody means to cause distress or offence by commenting on something another forum member has said. We're not unfeeling monsters here, and I'm fairly sure that if someone doesn't like something that's written in their thread they're quite capapble of saying so - they don't need a third party to assume responsibility for doing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?