Holidays and Ash

ulrich 17:02 04 May 2010

Is the threat of the volcanic ash returning every now and again going to make people think of flying away? There wont be any airlines left if they have to keep paying out hugh sums of money everytime it happens.

sunnystaines 17:46 04 May 2010

not here got a flight booked for monday.

canarieslover 18:16 04 May 2010

Well I'm off to the Canaries (surprise, surprise) in 10 days time hopefully. There's loads of settled volcanic ash out there but they call them beaches.

Bapou 18:48 04 May 2010

We are scheduled to depart from Newcastle airport early tomorrow morning.

ITV North East had a reporter at the airport today. So far only flights to Ireland cancelled, Business as usual for elsewhere, even those flying over Ireland. They fly high enough to be clear of the ash cloud. So said the reporter.

Fingers crossed for our check in at 6.30 a.m.

Forum Editor 19:20 04 May 2010

and volcanic ash won't enter my mind. Long ago, when I realised I would be flying a lot I decided that life would be a lot less stressful in one respect if I made the assumption that the people on the flight deck know what they are doing, and that they want to get there in one piece just as much as I do.

When I board an aircraft I do so in the certain knowledge that flying in a big passenger jet is the safest way to travel. I surrender myself to the process.

ulrich 21:17 04 May 2010

I think there is enough commonsense on that, its
the getting stuck and not having the money to live for a couple of weeks in Dubai or wherever, and not relying on the air carriers or the stoney broke British Government to bail you out? Please read what I write, nothing to do with safety.

ronalddonald 22:33 04 May 2010

ashes to ashes dust to dust, birds, butterflies, flying insect, and airlines all fly.

ulrich 09:12 05 May 2010

Tell that to the people in Scotland and Ireland who can't fly.
Just listening to the BBC and it could spread down in to England.

Quickbeam 09:19 05 May 2010

They don't already listen to the BBC in England...?

Al94 17:05 06 May 2010

Looking at the modelled ash cloud projections, we don't want any westerlies in the coming days! click here Black would be the no fly zone.

ulrich 17:56 06 May 2010

I get the impression nobody cares, if they get stuck somewhere, but I relly cannot see the airlines paying out all the time. Why should the taxpayer?

It's a problem that isn't going away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017