Hold the front page!

Quickbeam 08:40 26 Jun 2009

That famous phrase must have been yelled from the Daily Express editors office last night.

Our Express has the death of Farrah Fawcett frontpage headline.

Al94 09:39 26 Jun 2009

Good day to bury bad news?

Quickbeam 09:49 26 Jun 2009

Cynicism...?

Quickbeam 09:52 26 Jun 2009

South Yorks must get all the early editions, it's not the first time we've missed the major headline.

In all the years that I did taxi work I never once got the famous 'Follow that cab!' line.

JYPX 10:17 26 Jun 2009

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall at the BBC last night. First we has a Newsflash - I kid you not - A Newsflash on BBC 1. And then the BBC news channel abandoned all other news stories (no brief summary's, no Iran protests, - nothing) and went to blanket coverage of Jackson's death. This continued for a couple of hours and may have done all night for all I know?
I knew this would be a big news story, but......

interzone55 12:38 26 Jun 2009

I'm amazed the Express didn't manage to find a Princess Diana angle to th estory.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread

My dad was winging the other day that the local rag is now printed a couple of hundred miles away in Glasgow. "They won't have any news in it anymore," he says, "they'll have to print it earlier".

Although dated Saturday, the paper is normally in the shops about 1pm on Friday. And when it was printed in the town anything that happened after around 9pm on Thursday would have to wait for the next edition. Anyway, last week's edition had a story about a road closure due to a large fire that only happened at 5:45am on Friday morning, so despite the extra distance the paper travels, it's now more up to date. That's technology for you...

Quickbeam 13:24 26 Jun 2009

I got a Princess Di 'and' an Elvis angle into my reply on one of the Jacko threads:)

caccy 14:44 26 Jun 2009

What price progress then.
In the olden days before computers when newspapers were laid out by hand and proof-readers checked the grammer and spelling there always used to be a "Stop Press" article that was the breaking news at about 2AM that day. Now it would seem that the paper goes 'to-bed' about 10pm and that's it.

Stuartli 00:09 29 Jun 2009

The logistics of producing a morning newspaper and its distribution over a wide area are quite staggering.

We're lucky in that our copy of the Daily Mail is a late edition, so any stories that break towards midnight usually get a slot; evening sporting events are also fully covered, including full length analysis columns by individual sports journalists in addition to normal reports.

On top of that the Mail's website carries all these stories as soon as they are available and they are also constantly being updated.

Stuartli 00:16 29 Jun 2009

Obviously that's the case, particularly because of the dramatic rise over the past 20 years in particular of rolling news channels such as Sky News and BBC News 24.

What the TV news channels cannot provide unlike newspapers, however, is careful and studied analysis of particular events; one of the most common phrases, for instance, on BBC News (24) is: "I'm sorry, we must leave it there" only a matter of minutes after starting to interview someone.

Sky News declares: "The news and sport in 15 minutes, every 15 minutes". Not much room there either for any great detail...:-)

Bingalau 08:22 29 Jun 2009

fourm member. Stuartli is obviously not as biased as you in his reading habits. I imagine he studies the different newspapers from all angles. He certainly doesn't just read the rubbish printed in one particular newspaper but reads the rubbish printed in a variety of them, thereby getting an all round version of news items and other things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017