The "HMS Victory"

Bingalau 18:06 23 Mar 2010

A model is being touted on the internet at present and apart from the fact that it is going to turn out to be a very expensive model to complete (Free with first magazine type of thing) It seems a shame to me that it doesn't mention how many magazines have to be bought to get the total amount of bits and pieces needed.

Now the bit that is niggling away at me every time I see the advert is they keep calling it "The HMS Victory" When will they learn that it doesn't make sense to say "The Her/His Majesties Ship Victory"

I know even Brumas will tell me to get a life! Ah well I feel better to get that off my chest...

wiz-king 18:26 23 Mar 2010

A lot of magazines are like that 'only 99p first issue with free starter kit' the you find out that it is normally £4.99 and it takes 20 weeks to get all the bits.

peter99co 18:26 23 Mar 2010

Have you seen the Dinosaur on the adverts? It takes two years and is £4.99 per week.

Toneman 18:30 23 Mar 2010

These models are all the same. What about suggesting to PCA that they do a desktop PC over, say, ten weeks?...

Bingalau 18:44 23 Mar 2010

Toneman, That suggestion had occurred to me but I didn't have the gall to mention it.

ronalddonald 18:52 23 Mar 2010

the cost and amount of issues of the magazine should be displayed for the entire advert and spoken in the ad too so that eveyone is aware of how costly it is.

Flak999 19:02 23 Mar 2010

that after the first issue it is in 120 parts at £5.99 each. Thats £718.80 for this model!

john bunyan 19:07 23 Mar 2010

Apart from missing the fun of building it, one of these would probably be better:
click here
The £600 one looks similar?
Cheers

Bingalau 19:18 23 Mar 2010

john bunyan... all very nice but guess one of the first things that made me cringe when reading the descriptions of the models,yes you have guessed it "The HMS Victory" How could they?

By the way we have an ex-Royal Marines butcher in our branch, I actually served with him at one time. His hands are like shovels, but he can turn out wonderful ship models with no training and all his bits and pieces are scrounged, we know where he developed the scrounging talent of course. But where he picked up the talent is any-body's guess.

morddwyd 20:50 23 Mar 2010

I've even heard the expression "The HMS...." on BBC news programmes.

One of the few things that's guaranteed to bring me up out of my chair screaming at the television.

Silly, I Know. There are much more important things to get worked up about, but this one really triggers something, and I'm not even ex Navy!

john bunyan 22:16 23 Mar 2010

As we are in a pedantic mode, I assume you mean "ex ROYAL Navy" !! ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017