Hire car Insurance

Pamy 14:33 16 Oct 2007

Just had a shock about hire car insurance abroad ( portugal). Thought we were fully covered, third party and car, Crash Damage Waver cover. Do others who hire cars abroad on holiday know how little cover you realy have?

Colin 14:39 16 Oct 2007

What were you told when you booked the car and what do you have in writing? I use Holiday Autos when I book hire cars abroad and opt for the full insurance package which clearly details what is and what isn't covered.

Pamy 14:48 16 Oct 2007

Hi Colin, we booked through Expedia and it said we were fully covered. But on arrival my husband was asked if he wanted the better insurance cover.

On asking what this was he was told that if there was any damage to the car he may have to pay up to £1000 excess but if he had the extra cover he would only have to pay £70. the windows and the wheels ,tyres and under the car were not covered by the "Standard insurance the we had,

Colin 14:55 16 Oct 2007

I'm not surprised to hear this. I feel that insurance cover is where hire car companies make most of their money. It's a case of reading the small print which can be very tedious. I can only speak for Holiday Autos, but I find their website and information very clear in relation to insurance cover and the other related items.

Pamy 15:00 16 Oct 2007

HOME PRODUCT RANGE RENEWALS ABOUT US Q & A WHAT THE PAPERS SAY

For a low, annual premium, Insurance4carhire.com provides excess insurance protecting the customer against excess charges whenever they rent a car.

Your car rental agreement normally includes cover for Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft. However you are still liable for the Excess on CDW and Theft. When a rental car is damaged or stolen, the driver is asked to pay the first portion of the repair or replacement costs. This is known as the Excess.

Pamy 15:15 16 Oct 2007

Your car rental generally covers you for Collision Damage Waiver and Theft. In most agreements you are still liable for the first portion of the repair or replacement costs otherwise known as the excess, which can vary from £100 up to £2,000. Book with carhireexcess. com today, saving you time and money before collecting your vehicle at the car rental desk.

Pamy 16:01 16 Oct 2007

this is from Holiday Autos site .... It is important to note that:

It does not cover damage to wheels, tyres, windows, the roof, the underside, the interior of the car, towing charges or damage caused willfully or recklessly. You may therefore be liable for the cost of this damage.

Insurance cover is not provided for the contents of the car in the event of theft.

spuds 17:43 16 Oct 2007

Whatever you do, take photographs of the vehicle on return to the hirer. Plus watch the credit card statement.

A friend of mine had a shock a few months ago when she received a bill for accident damage, plus other extra charges to her credit card. Investigated why, and after several letters and telephone calls, she finally received a letter of apology with 'that employee as now left the company'.

Colin 18:41 16 Oct 2007

Thanks for the info, Pamy. Seems like I wasn't as well covered as I thought!

myfoot 20:05 16 Oct 2007

Here's a link - click here - for an insurance that all allows you to insure your liability for excess. I think it £46 and is valid for 12 months, but not in your country of residence

Pamy 10:39 17 Oct 2007

Thanks myfoot, thats where I got one of my bits of info from. I will tick this as resolved. I just wanted people to be aware when they hire a car abroad that they may not be as fully insured as perhaps they thought like me, and will take out this cheaper extra insurance before hand. By the way, our extra cover in Portugal from Avis car hire was 139E (£98)for 10days use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017