Hillary Clinton in the White House?

Forum Editor 01:16 15 Nov 2008

We may see Hillary back in the White House

click here

What an interesting partnership that might make.

WhiteTruckMan 01:35 15 Nov 2008

that politics makes for strange bedfellows.

WTM

Kevscar1 02:25 15 Nov 2008

Will she bring her own cigars

smokingbeagle 03:14 15 Nov 2008

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

Forum Editor 08:07 15 Nov 2008

I hardly think that Obama sees Hillary as an enemy; they're both on the same side, after all, and they both have a legal background. Bill Clinton's Chief of staff is Obama's co-chair of transition, and Clinton's deputy Chief will be the New Chief of Staff - Hillary knows these people well, and they know her. I think they could all work very well together. Hillary's knowledge of current and past foreign policies, and the fact that she knows many of the world's political leaders personally means she could be a big asset in a new administration.

As yet there's no official confirmation of an offer, let alone an acceptance, so we'll see. Hillary isn't the only candidate.

smokingbeagle 09:16 15 Nov 2008

On the downside, the Clintons would bring a lot of unwanted baggage with them. Yhey have apparently been coy up to now about disclosing foreign donations to the Clinton Presidential Library and his earnings from speaking tours. No doubt the right-wing elements in the media have stored-up allegations to make.
I suspect that the third wheel - Bill- would be a loose cannon. Shame really that people who can energise the cetre-left of american poitics are also flawed.

laurie53 09:38 15 Nov 2008

He could do a lot worse.

crosstrainer 10:07 15 Nov 2008

She's in a bit of a quandary here....Declining the post would de-stabilise the Democrats, but I really don't think she either wants, or could work well with Obama... It will be interesting to see how many "Sour Grapes" have been forgotten.

The Brigadier 10:10 15 Nov 2008

It would be the olive branch to those of Mrs Clintons supporters who voted for Obama.

Cymro. 11:18 15 Nov 2008

Well there can`t be many with as much experience as Hillary Clinton. It would also help to keep the party together and be of use to her if she has a go at the top job next time. If America is willing to elect a black-man this time they may be ready next time to let a woman run the country.

Forum Editor 11:21 15 Nov 2008

that Obama wants the Clinton-supporting Democrats to see him acknowledging Hillary by holding talks with her, even if he's going to settle for someone else in the end. By nature Hillary doesn't define the term 'team-player', and you can't have two leaders in the White House; there might be conflicts, and that would be disastrous. It would be a pity if he offered and she refused however, because I think she would make an able and decisive Secretary of State.

Obama is well aware of the need to get his administration team right first time - there's a great deal of pressure on him to deliver on his election promises, and to fulfil the enormous amount of hope his victory has created. There'll be no time for dithering,once he's in the Oval office, and the thought of having a woman like Hillary on the team might concern him a little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?