The highways Agency has no sense of humour.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:26 19 Aug 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-14574419

I'm a Westcountryman and i just think the sign is amusing.

interzone55 09:46 19 Aug 2011

Looking at it from their point of view, Banksy has vandalised one of their signs, and is there really room for humour on road signs?

The Highways agency have also recently removed signs in Polish and Spanish warning of road closures in Blackminsister, and in my opinion this far more important as there are a lot of Polish migrant workers in that area, and numerous lorries from Spain visit the area, so it's important that drivers can read the road closure signs to prevent lorries getting trapped

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-14540670

Mr Mistoffelees 09:53 19 Aug 2011

There was no vandalism, this was a new sign erected by Banksy.

interzone55 10:49 19 Aug 2011

Mr Mistoffelees

No it wasn't, if you care to read the story in your link again you'll find this statement

The Highways Agency said the fake sign was pasted on top of a sign that it said was usually blank but could be flipped over to show diversion route details.

Quickbeam 12:25 19 Aug 2011

No harm done, they didn't mention any crunching of carrots.

peter99co 14:26 19 Aug 2011

Blackminster Polish and Spanish road signs

Foreign language signs advising migrant workers of a road diversion in Worcestershire have been removed for "health and safety" reasons.

Council requested them. Network Rail supplied them. Highways Agency took them down. Taxpayer footed the bill?

Joseph Kerr 14:42 19 Aug 2011

Quite, no humour at all. But it was threre and we have the pictures.

Forum Editor 18:40 19 Aug 2011

The highways Agency has no sense of humour.

That's one way of looking at it, and the sign was certainly humorous, but....

Just imagine that on a dark and rainy night someone's attention was distracted enough that a serious accident occurred... would it be so funny then? I think that I would prefer the Highways Agency to continue to have no sense of humour when it comes to someone deciding he wants to put up his own road sign.

I'm also getting tired of hearing about the latest self-indulgent display by Banksy. He was great when he began his street art career, but now that he's joined the rich and famous brigade of trendy new artists I find his antics a little irritating.

Aitchbee 19:01 19 Aug 2011

Is the 'angel of the north', an ornament, eyesore, or distraction?

userious? 20:51 19 Aug 2011

Be lucky to find any west country people, more likey to be laughing at the cockney accents, there's more of them then us.

Joseph Kerr 02:28 20 Aug 2011

Good point AitchBEE, and I often find "THINK BIKE" signs distracting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?