High Definition on Freeview

Stuartli 11:16 03 Apr 2008

BBC News 24 has just had some breaking news with regard to up to four high definition transmissions on Freeview by 2012 and even as early as next year in some areas.

But nothing posted yet on its website..:-)

Grey Goo 11:34 03 Apr 2008

Hopefully all areas will be covered for the Olympics, mind you we will then be able to see all the building errors and omissions in HD

anskyber 11:35 03 Apr 2008

Sounds like old news repacked. 4 are mentioned here click here and it's linked to the digital switchover anyway, if they stick to the timetable.

Stuartli 11:50 03 Apr 2008

Confirmed rather than "repacked" it seemed to me.

donki 12:15 03 Apr 2008

Well id say you will need a new HD freeview box would it not?

anskyber 12:30 03 Apr 2008

Yes you do, although Sony have just launched their latest set which has a built in HD tuner.

I think those who do not wish to wait another 2-4 years for HD on Freeview may be tempted by the BBC/ITV Freesat coming in "the spring" which will have HD.

anskyber 12:32 03 Apr 2008

You are probably right, but hardly the stuff of "breaking news" is it.

donki 12:46 03 Apr 2008

Think i'l stick with Sky, i really do love the Sky+ feature.

Stuartli 13:05 03 Apr 2008

Freeview DVD recorders such as the Humax PVR 9200T and even a good Freeview PCI or USB stick for a computer system offer similar facilities to Sky+

In fact my three or four-year-old Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card matches such abilities and most of my TV recordings are done on my computer.

I can even Pause live recordings and continue watching later if the doorbell goes or the phone rings.

anskyber 16:18 03 Apr 2008

The latest announcement from the BBC click here

Stuartli 17:23 03 Apr 2008

Thanks for the link - a BBC website Search and looking at the Technology link failed to turn up any stories.

Now why didn't I think of Entertainment...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?