And here's me thinking we could relax

TopCat® 18:17 03 May 2010

and take it easy, so we could sit out and admire our hard work carried out earlier in the garden. Not so when the fishpond water started to quickly disappear!

When we moved here some eight years ago we 'inherited' a large, thirty-year-old, three level fishpond complete with a good stock of fish. The previous owner said it had a leak somewhere, which was obvious as the water was down two levels. I found a crack in the cemented floor, which I cut out and repaired with quick hardening pond cement. Refilled the pond and all was fine. About six months or so later the water lowered and another crack was found in the block-work and cemented wall, which I again made good.

The wife had rushed to get us on water meter shortly after we moved in and, as the pond and filter system now holds in total around 5,000 gallons, any large water loss can prove expensive to replace down here.

Anyway, around two years ago the pond started a slow leak somewhere, which I usually topped up about once a week. Continued to do this until about three weeks ago when I saw the water had dropped considerably overnight from a top up. I let the water drop away for days until it seemed to be holding it's level, and then searched for an obvious leakage point. Found a fairly large hole in some stonework and, after lowering the water level some more, carried out a considerable repair to the old concreted area. I lightly pressure washed the walls of algae and checked them for any defects. All was fine, but as any good fishkeeper knows, newly set cement has to be treated, usually with G4 or similar, which is quite expensive.

That's where eBay came in, after an extensive online search for a non-toxic product to treat my pond floors and walls. I found a reasonably priced product called, appropriately, 'Waterproof fish pond paint' which, after applying two coats, I can highly recommend to other pond owners that experience any leaks. It comes in black only and has an indefinite shelf life, which is an added bonus.

Now I await our next water bill as the garden hose was running for three and a half hours at full pressure to refill the pond. I'll make sure the wife pays it too, because she got us on the meter! :o)) TC.

al's left peg 18:36 03 May 2010

I think it might be a good idea to buy a few water butts and link them up to your guttering system. Or even direct the rainfall from the guttering into the pond.

Quickbeam 18:38 03 May 2010

It would seem cost effective to re-plumb all the roofing gutter downpipes to divert all runoff water into your pond system (sounds more like a grand lake system equalling the Babylon gardens though to me), it's surprising how much water a roof area provides.

It makes my mild invasion of blanket weed seem trivial now...

Quickbeam 18:39 03 May 2010

It seems that al's left peg and me are the great minds that everyone talks about.

egapup 18:51 03 May 2010

Why not empty it and put a liner over the top of the concrete, you'll be repairing forever else.

Pineman100 19:18 03 May 2010

We inherited a sizeable pond when we bought our current house, last year. We found it teeming with goldfish (well - some goldfish, some blackfish, which we took to be young goldfish). There must have been approaching a hundred of them.

Early one day, a few weeks ago, as my wife drew back the curtains, she saw a huge heron rise majestically from the end of the garden.

Now, we can't see a single fish in the pond. Not one! Either that heron scoffed the lot in one blow-out meal, or he'd been snacking at our pond for weeks.

So now we just wait in hope for frogs and newts to colonise it.

Quickbeam 19:35 03 May 2010

If you had frogs before, you should have loads of them without the fish, all my frogspawn got scoffed within 24 hours!

TopCat® 21:57 03 May 2010

Sorry to hear of your experience. Once you've had a visit it could mean another in due course. I should net over the pond if you add fish again.

Touch wood, we have thankfully not had a visit from any heron since we've lived here. Could be the fact that our whole garden is surrounded by trees and the pond is hidden, unless one happens to fly directly over us one day. When we go away then the large net always goes right over the pond and is pegged down well, with the central fountain holding it up taut. TC.

WhiteTruckMan 22:16 03 May 2010

Are they a good thing to have, or a bad?

WTM

ronalddonald 22:22 03 May 2010

rib-bit rib-bit

i dont know,the only pond i use to look was the pond in a local park where they had big gold fish and frogs living in harmony.

must jump c u soon

Woolwell 23:23 03 May 2010

Frogs eat slugs. Good to have.

Not so good when you have dogs which try to chase them. Although one of the funniest things I saw was when a frog and dog got it wrong and the frog jumped and hit the dog in the face. There was a quick about turn from dog!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017