here is a thought but is it legal for bicycle riders

finerty 00:18 22 May 2012

Why do bicycle riders not ride on the side facing oncoming traffic. Seems safer? well to me it does and this is what i have been doing for a while know.

I have in the past have had motorists come to close to me, forcing me stop, swerve and in some cases some motorists will blatantly pull out in front of me. I'm not saying all motorists are bad but i also get the odd teenage motorist with their friend yelling at the top of their voice causing me stop riding or trying to break my concentration.

I must admit that riding on the side facing oncoming traffic is easier for me, but i guess i might be breaking the law.

If i ride on the pavement im certain im breaking the law but i think that the law makers should allow cyclists to ride on the side facing oncoming traffic as. I live in Pinner but im still coming against drivers who don't really care about cyclists

Forum Editor 00:25 22 May 2012

"I must admit that riding on the side facing oncoming traffic is easier for me, but i guess i might be breaking the law."

Of course it's breaking the law. It's also endangering your life, and the lives of others. It's a very foolish thing to do, and you should stop doing it immediately.

Quickbeam 00:45 22 May 2012

If you suddenly stop posting, we'll know the reason why then;)

lotvic 01:08 22 May 2012

More than very dangerous, how is the approaching vehicle supposed to cope with trying to pull out to pass you and avoid oncoming traffic on other side?

You are endangering the lives of others as well as yourself.

carver 05:24 22 May 2012

Think about it, if you are doing a speed of only 15 MPH towards oncoming traffic in a 30 MPH zone you have just increased a head on collision into a 45 MPH crash and the only loser is you.

Mr Mistoffelees 07:55 22 May 2012

finerty

Not only are you a considerable danger, to yourself and others, but you are exactly the sort of person giving cyclists a bad name, even though you are old enough to know better.

It's not just motorists who will have to make potentially dangerous manoeuvres to avoid, think about the law abiding cyclist who has to swerve into the kerb or out into the traffic, or the pedestrian not expecting an idiot coming from their left.

AS an experienced cyclist and ex-time-trialist, people like you disgust me with your stupidity and ignorance.

morddwyd 08:56 22 May 2012

It's a wind up!

It's got to be a wind up!

Brumas 09:15 22 May 2012

Seeing you approach me would scare the bejaysus out of me ! Turning left would be a nightmare with two streams of traffic to contend with - I don't like to be rude but you seem to be a right plonker!

carver 10:40 22 May 2012

morddwyd I think finerty just rides a normal pedal bike I've never seen a clockwork one, electric yes, clockwork no.

Imagine size of key for it.

carver 10:42 22 May 2012

unless you were thinking of one of these clockwork bike

Quickbeam 11:29 22 May 2012

Where does the winding key fit, is it a 7 or 8 day movement and will it make you late for work if you don't change it forward and back twice a year?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?