Helper's rant....:( 'Ad enough.

rdave13 21:59 28 Mar 2009

I've finally given up.

A relative of mine started to have malware and Trojans on the PC.
This has been going on for two years or more and every time I go back, clean it, within two months I'm back and spend another 'few' hours
getting it back to a clean working state.

Well this is the biggie! BSOD at boot-up or the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu'and it will not boot to any safe mode or anything on the list.
This I'm told.
Dell, whom they have been on to, using the mobile phone, for over 1 1/2 hrs, suggest buying their 'Restore to Factory Settings' discs for about thirty squids.
Not happy with this they went to PC World and they would recover the photos and all docs for ninety squids and suggested buying a usb Hdd as a backup. So it's thirty for restoring, ninety for recovering and fifty, or so, for a Hdd backup for the future. So far no mention of a boot problem.

This time I made no suggestions of help as I've 'ad enough.
No more helping with PCs no matter whom asks. It seems a wast of time with some people anyway.

Glad to get the rant off my chest and no apologies for doing so.. :)
Well; only a small apology....

WhiteTruckMan 22:32 28 Mar 2009

shrugging your shoulders and professing ignorance is a small price to pay for peace and quiet.

WTM

rdave13 22:40 28 Mar 2009

"shrugging your shoulders and professing ignorance is a small price to pay for peace and quiet."
I agree. Somehow I think that it's not going to be that easy.
The looks on their faces seemed that they wanted to start a revolution.
Kill infidel PC makers!!!
Had a hard time hiding my smile.

perpetual motion 23:27 28 Mar 2009

Rdave try to get a "Boot Time Scan" tool that WILL get rid of whatever is on the HD, it basicly scans just after Bios so it will get any malware etc.Just google

click here=

WhiteTruckMan 00:13 29 Mar 2009

I dont think rdave's gripe is about fixing the problem. Its about *repeatedly* fixing the problem.

WTM

btw-nice suggestion

perpetual motion 00:14 29 Mar 2009

WTM AH, i see thankx.
i suppose it depends on what sites there viewing & what content there d/l...

BT 08:34 29 Mar 2009

Can't you pursuade them to get a decent Antivirus program. Even one of the free ones is better than nothing, although if they are spending all you say they could afford to get McAfee or similar.

laurie53 10:05 29 Mar 2009

"Can't you pursuade them to get a decent Antivirus program."

If they've not been convinced by now then nothing is likely to persuade them.

Some people simply cannot be told.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:28 29 Mar 2009

If you say that you will charge them £40 for each visit, you will be amazed at how all the 'problems' suddenly disappear and they actually start looking after the computer.

G

DrScott 12:49 29 Mar 2009

to buy a Mac.

If you can't be bothered to look after your PC properly, you don't deserve one.

The level of ingratitude I've had in the past for spending hours on a neighbour's computer means that I will rarely offer anything other than simple verbal advice.

DrScott 12:50 29 Mar 2009

you, I mean generically.

More specifically I mean: if they can't be bothered to look after their PC properly, they don't deserve one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?