Help! I'm being impersonated! (seriously!)

WhiteTruckMan 23:03 16 Jun 2010

Yesterday evening I was approached by a neighbour, telling me that they could hear me snore at night!!

This evening I recieved an email from someone at a website called british snoring about a request for informations etc. Included in the email was part of what 'I' alledgedly wrote, giving them my email address as well as my name and address. All this information is in the public domain thanks to my recent bid for election. the email address was a hotmail address I set up for the purpose.

I visited the website and found the contact details where you are directed to a page where you enter an email address and fill in a form rather than send an email directly. So obviously someone has filled out the form with my name and address.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to join the dots, but I am pretty peeved at someone representing themselves as me. The question is, where should I go from here? Do I have any right to demand the original email, and whats the chance of finding anything useful from the message source (if any)?

WTM

lotvic 23:36 16 Jun 2010

Just have yourself a good laugh, someone's joking around.

Politics, fame, make you 'fair game'

Woolwell 23:37 16 Jun 2010

Sounds as if your neighbour or someone else is playing a prank. Close the hotmail account.

[email protected] 23:52 16 Jun 2010

Almost certainly just your neighbour playing a joke on you. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

woody 00:01 17 Jun 2010

If an email on snoring upsets you - do not take up politics! A year or so ago i noticed an advert for a hotel that required people who snored to test their rooms - i told my wife she should apply as she could snore for England!

Forum Editor 00:02 17 Jun 2010

the original email, and whats the chance of finding anything useful from the message source (if any)?"

1. No

2. Virtually nil.

This kind of thing is part of the price you pay for raising your head above the virtual parapet. Forget about it.

WhiteTruckMan 00:33 17 Jun 2010

-Its not the email that annoys me. It's someone impersonating me.

WTM

wiz-king 05:25 17 Jun 2010

Slease! - Call the Telegraph - WTM's bid for private treatment!!
*grin*

rdave13 07:10 17 Jun 2010

Just thank your lucky stars you weren't sent a wig on a time trial.. or even sample hats.

sunnystaines 07:18 17 Jun 2010

sleep on it for now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:32 17 Jun 2010

Someone is taking the rip out of you. They are not impersonating you or trying to take over your life. It is a joke.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017